Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 12 year old is in town and wants to go for a ride. He's at that age that he will grow out of stuff VERY fast, and all I plan to do is tool him around a park once or twice while he is here.

To the point: How much gear should we outfit him in? I was thinking just to get a full face helmet and maybe some gloves... Am I being an idiot (specificaly about this...)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,851 Posts
a majority of all crashes happen within a 25 mile radius of your house...

WTF does that mean...well...several things can be assumed from this...

1) no one ever travels further than 25 miles away from their home

2) as long as you go 25 miles away from your house, you will be fine

3) or...do what you think is best....

I would think helmet is definitely key....but if you want to instill protective gear wearing in him...i would think you should suit him up....but then again...i do not understand the whole parenting thing anyways...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DocPup said:
but if you want to instill protective gear wearing in him...i would think you should suit him up....but then again...i do not understand the whole parenting thing anyways...
Yeah, I agree fully on the ritual/practice and 25 mile rule (but what is left out is him NOT being on a bike going over 30 mph so I am thinking about serious road rash gear versus falls and hard impact protection.)

His idiot mom lets him ride a quad w/o a helmet or anything. I just was wondering if anyone had strong opinions on high end protective gear versus jeans, "ankle" shoes, decent long sleeves, and avg. gloves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,851 Posts
hahah...just kidding about the 25 mile thing...i think that fact is just ironic....

but anyways...if it is good for the MSF, then its good for me :beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Saw some dumbass today on the highway riding a Busa with what looked like a 6 or 7 year old little girl on the back. She had a helmet on, but if she was touching the passenger pegs it was not by much. I would make my kid wear what I would normally wear.

I live 5 minutes from the HD stealership, so another frequent sight for me is the guy decked out in jeans, black tee shirt and boots; with his woman in shorts, halter top and open toe shoes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,690 Posts
bruzza said:
Saw some dumbass today on the highway riding a Busa with what looked like a 6 or 7 year old little girl on the back. She had a helmet on, but if she was touching the passenger pegs it was not by much. I would make my kid wear what I would normally wear.
Ditto,
My girls wear what I wear or they don't ride. I would recommend new helmets but the rest does not have to be new at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
i don't have kids, but here's how i would think about it i think....

if i get the kid jacket and pants,, i'll waste some cash, and nothing bad will happen,
if i don't, something will happen and i will feel like an idiot for not outfitting him. what do you think about looking for some used motocross gear? wouldn't that be a cheap way to get him some protection? lots of kids do that i think....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,690 Posts
Motocross gear is great and easy to find. A lot of shops around my area sell it on consignment. Jacket , pants with armor and a helmet and boots. Spend what you can afford and you won't be sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
god suggestions and good advice!!!! I likely would have just went with gloves and a helmet. Thanks for your inputs. I'll take some due diligence to see about a bit more gear. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,252 Posts
Once or twice around the park I'd say denim, helmet, gloves and proper boots/shoes. The important thing is he learns to wear gear, and why he has to wear it. Hunt up some road rash pics on the net and set a good example. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,821 Posts
Cant remember where i saw it, here maybe, but someone qouted an old man who told him you dress for the crash, not the ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,547 Posts
cwb4tx said:
His idiot mom lets him ride a quad w/o a helmet or anything. I just was wondering if anyone had strong opinions on high end protective gear versus jeans, "ankle" shoes, decent long sleeves, and avg. gloves.
If he is going to spend 10 times as much time riding the quad as riding behind you I would spend my money on good dirt bike gear first. Simple cost benefit analysis. Not that you shouldn't have proper gear for both but cover the bigger risk first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,016 Posts
itchin said:
Cant remember where i saw it, here maybe, but someone qouted an old man who told him you dress for the crash, not the ride.
Great philosophy.

Two words: "Duct Tape."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Done deal. Bought him a womens sxmall textile/armored jacket that would also work on the quad (it's black so he doesnt know the diff till he sees thetag inside,maybe I'll magic marker the "womens" out), a decent motocross helmet with goggles and some gloves. He'll have to survive with jeans and hightops for the rest. I'm tired of shoppn and kids heal fast anyway :finger:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,851 Posts
bruzza said:
I live 5 minutes from the HD stealership, so another frequent sight for me is the guy decked out in jeans, black tee shirt and boots; with his woman in shorts, halter top and open toe shoes.
at least they had that...the retarded (pronounced 'retired') down here in FL wear t-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops....

oh they do have on some protrective gear...sunglasses....wait...sorry..usually not shatter resistant...maybe not
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top