Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. My '98 T509 had a Werx stumpy exhaust when I bought it and it has always ran rich. I don't know if it has had a remap so I enquired with The Triumph dealer and they strongly advised not to get it remapped as they said all sorts of electrical issues can result. They also said that all T509s run rich. Does anyone have any experience of this? Secondly, would a PowerCommander work as a potential fix, as I understand this would not change the bike's electrics directly?
Anyone's experience would be useful. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Time to find a new dealer. Many if not most people on here have remapped their bikes. Look up Tune ECU, it's a free program, all you need to buy is an inexpensive cable. PowerCommanders require you to hack into your electrical system and are limited in what they can do compared to remapping.

But how do you know it's rich? Have you used a wide band oxygen sensor or done plug readings? Best power is always slightly rich.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dr Gallup. My MoT tester tested the emissions and told me it was running rich. This was backed up by very dirty plugs which were replaced after only 1500 miles! I've also been told by riders following me that the fumes are bad and smell rich. However, it runs well and I've no complaints about the power so I'm a bit apprehensive about making changes given what the dealer told me! I've also got hold of a TORS exhaust which I intend to replace the Werx one with. Depending on how it runs after that I guess will decide whether I do a remap or not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I have fitted a TORS end can instead of my Werks one, without remapping. A huge improvement. I prefer the sound; it's deeper and has slowed down the idle speed. Going to get the emissions tested at MoT time to see if it has leaned up the rich running. But overall, after a 20mile test ride at the weekend, it seems a big improvement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts