Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I installed a set of scorpion slip ons and a BMC filter. I uploaded one of dyno tunes for these mods off of the tune ecu website. I've noticed the bike runs great above 3000 RPMs even with partial throttle openings. However in traffic situations traveling at low speeds and low RPM the bike stutters a bit and even seems to be running with one cylinder off to a degree. When the bike was stock it had no problems putting around at low speed in virtually any gear and any RPM. I will try changing the tune but was wondering if anyone had a similar experience or had a specific tune that runs well with this set up? It is an 06 early vin model. When km back on my laptop I'll post the exact tune I'm tuning now.

·
Registered
316 Posts
A while back I installed a set of scorpion slip ons and a BMC filter. I uploaded one of dyno tunes for these mods off of the tune ecu website. I've noticed the bike runs great above 3000 RPMs even with partial throttle openings. However in traffic situations traveling at low speeds and low RPM the bike stutters a bit and even seems to be running with one cylinder off to a degree. When the bike was stock it had no problems putting around at low speed in virtually any gear and any RPM. I will try changing the tune but was wondering if anyone had a similar experience or had a specific tune that runs well with this set up? It is an 06 early vin model. When km back on my laptop I'll post the exact tune I'm tuning now.
Short of getting it custom dyno tuned, the arrow high mount is the suggested tune for these cans. However, I'm running mine with the stock tune and they work great. No flat spots, rough zones,etc. I was informed by a forum member here that the triples are tuned rich from the factory, which may be the reason that loading another tune was unnecesssary. Go back to stock tune and see how things are, then go from there. What tune did you load? I would guess that if it still does what you described with the stock tune, there is another culprit.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright so I have just finished running just about every tune under the sun for my model year S3. I've fiddled with settings, I've customized maps, I've done all I can think of to remedy this problem. Yet low and behold it still persists. The bike runs fantastic above 3k RPMS at above low throttle opening. However, if I am stuck in traffic moving say 30-35mph or less I cannot find a map that in any gear the bike runs smooth. It seems to stutter, almost like it is running on 2 cylinders, MPG readings from the cluster plummet. Yet as soon as I accelerate just a bit more, slightly more throttle opening she smooths right out and goes. At 3200 RPM, 40MPH no problem. 30MPH 2900 RPM or less, stutter. Exhaust note is off, the whole nine. So, once again. Any suggestions? I can't remember riding her when she was stock and what her characteristics were but from all my past experience with Triumphs and all the lore surrounding the engine she should put along just dandy at any speed in virtually any gear no?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
So it's not the software. Have you looked at hardware ?

TB Balance
Vacum hoses
Coils
Valve Clearance
Injectors

Is the charging system in good shape ? With bad stator or R/R, you'll be getting low voltage at low RPM, and it makes speedy do veird sh!t (from experience).
etc ...

·
Registered
55 Posts
OK... so I ran the bike through a few paces..... verry happy about the tune over 3000 rpm.... below I am not 100%
it is acting like it is not getting enough fuel below the 3000 rpm... it runs fine in idle at about 1200 rpm.. but a little clutch in first gear and the engine dies off unless I rev it up over 3000 or so.... it didn't used to be that way with the old tune... in 2nd gear when going like 20 mph in the lower RPM it is acting like again not getting enough fuel....
what gives is this normal for the tune?

Sounds like we have the same proplem... mine is a 2009 and I got a MIVV pipe ... nothing else changed on the bike
except that I think you may have explained the issue a bit better​

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK... so I ran the bike through a few paces..... verry happy about the tune over 3000 rpm.... below I am not 100%
it is acting like it is not getting enough fuel below the 3000 rpm... it runs fine in idle at about 1200 rpm.. but a little clutch in first gear and the engine dies off unless I rev it up over 3000 or so.... it didn't used to be that way with the old tune... in 2nd gear when going like 20 mph in the lower RPM it is acting like again not getting enough fuel....
what gives is this normal for the tune?

Sounds like we have the same proplem... mine is a 2009 and I got a MIVV pipe ... nothing else changed on the bike
except that I think you may have explained the issue a bit better

Did anyone ever get a fix for this?? I'm having the same issues

·
Registered
111 Posts
Did anyone ever get a fix for this?? I'm having the same issues

Have you got a tune ecu cable?
If you do click on reset adaptive start bike let it run for 12mins without touching throttle.
Try leaving you computer hook up and watch to see if your tps resets it should reset within around 7 minutes. Then go for a ride..
If this doesn't work try turning the o2 sensor off and see what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Have you got a tune ecu cable?
If you do click on reset adaptive start bike let it run for 12mins without touching throttle.
Try leaving you computer hook up and watch to see if your tps resets it should reset within around 7 minutes. Then go for a ride..
If this doesn't work try turning the o2 sensor off and see what happens.

I have done the 12 minute tune and it did help with the idle, but when I try to take off it goes to $h#!. I will try the O2 sensor when I get home this evening.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same on my supercharged speed triple , my map had really high f/l switch values, which i changed , started at 20 at firat rpm value then i lowered the rest down to 4 , loaded the new map, reset adaptations and set tps on tune ecu then ran the bike from stone cold up to fans coming on and for a further 15 mins , turned bike of by the key , then back on as per tune ecu instructions, then took it for a spin , runs absolutely faultless, i think the map sensor that deals with low throttle opening was messing with the map

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts