Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can triumph sell you a bike that has emmisions stuff removed? The arrow pipe has no cat in it, so how can the SE be legal? How about noise, if standard equip don't pass...........or am I thinking too much? :wtf:

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
All the bikes have to meet the emission regulations of the market area it's sold to. I'm guessing they have a special version of the arrow system made for the SE models or it's simply not sold to market areas with strict emissions regulations.

Either that or they have applied for exclusive rights to sell a small batch of bikes that don't meet the standards. An example of this is Kawasaki ZZR1400 in the EU market area.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
... and most people are saying you get charged for the installation of said parts?!? WTF. If I were to buy an SE edition of a bike, I full expect to have those parts come on the bike with no installation fee tacked on. That shit should be considered part of the 'prep' cost of the bike.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I think it depends on what kind of contract you've done with your dealer. But if they haven't mentioned anything about having to pay for the work when buying the bike, they can't really charge you for it. If you pay for a SE edition bike you have to able to ride out of the dealers with it in SE condition without extra payments.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Good questions.

Technically, even the TORS (Triumph 'Off-Road' Silencers) aren't legal in the US for highway use. Good thing we don't have EPA people hanging out at inspection stations to seize 'illegal' vehicles.

I'm glad we don't have vehicle inspections in FLA

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
BillT said:
I'm glad we don't have vehicle inspections in FLA
good in some ways, bill...very bad in others....i was riding and came up behind some rust-o-bucket whose brake lights werent working and bumper was about to fall off :wtf:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does any state do emisions testing on bikes like they do cars? I know my brother in law has to get his new bike inspected in like seven years in dirty jersey. CT has no inspection, when you reg a used car or bike they only do a vin check for out of state vehicles.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
What is funny is that MOST states (USA) do not do emissions testing on cars - they simply plug into the ODBII canbus and check for functioning sensors. Only a few states actually test emissions on cars, and I don't think even CA tests bikes (other than visual inspections).

With the "SE" using what is a non-street legal exhaust in the US, this could be an issue for any buyer that does not keep the stock parts for future inspections in states that require them.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Even the states that do tail pipe emissions checks usually just stick a sniffer in the pipe at idle and look for excess hydrocarbons. To do a real federal driving cycle requires a lot of expensive gear that is hard to keep calibrated. It is way too expensive and time consuming for the general public. I have seen some portable emissions stations that have a rolling road (low power chassis dyno) and more complete gas analyzers but I don't know where they use them.

I keep all my stock hardware just so I can bolt it back on should the need ever arise. Usually, if the standard equipment is unmodified and you fail a test there is a cap on how much you have to spend to get your vehicle to pass.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Over here there's mandatory emission tests and check ups for cars. Not for bikes though, but it might be coming in couple years. That's why I keep my stock parts just in case. The stock mid pipe is no longer stock, but I'll risk it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The HD crowd is very aware of the USEPA standards for bikes, the new regs that went into effect last year should just about put the custom builders out of business. It's illegal to change anything on your bike with out getting it recertified. You are allowed to build ONE non-compliant bike in your life, period. The law does not address your options to replace it if it is destroyed. Any others can be show bikes that can be taken to and from events only. I've not had time to follow the fight in the last 12 months, there have been some groups trying to get some of this changed. I hope they are successful. If they ever start cracking down we are all screwed, the fine is $10,000 per day.

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
Here in Washington State cars and pickup trucks get emission testing on a Dyno with a tailpipe sniffer.  We are tested for NOX, unburned Hydrocarbons, and % C02.  As DrGallup mentioned, if you fail there is a cap on the amount you have to spend on repairs (I think it's $200)  Our standards are lower than California, but in a couple of years we are ramping up to California levels.

The real reason they don't test bikes is economics.  The dynos they use for cars wouldn't work for bikes.  The State isn't about to invest in specialized dynos for 3-5 % of the vehicles on the road, so they just exempt them from testing.  However, there's plenty of cars out there with aftermarket exhaust that are passing the test so I don't think most bikes are in any danger if they should start testing.

I have all my factory stuff except for the pre-cat so I'm not worried.  If necessary I'll take it into my dealership's dyno and build a custom map via Tuneboy that WILL pass DEQ.  Then take 20 minutes and tear all that crap off again.  :eboy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.