Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking up some SAGEM fuel injector specs for another member & came across some old documentation so I thought I'd post it up here. See the attached spreadsheet. As near as I can figure, these are all the original equipment injectors from the first fuel injected Triumph to the last 955i. All 1050's have been Denso, I have no data on them.

The first two injectors on the list are big old 24 mm diameter injectors, I didn't even remember we sold those to Triumph. We don't have those exact specs in production anymore but I could always whip up a special batch. The last 3 are the smaller 13.2 mm diameter injectors. SAGEM took all the tooling over to France when they sold us off so I can't make them.

Just thought some of you might find it useful if you're trying to find replacements. Not that they ever go bad. :eboy:

A cautionary note; ALL fuel injector manufactures spec static flow rate on n-heptane because it's a pure substance. If 10% of it evaporates it's still 100% n-heptane. Most web sites will give you some ill-defined static flow rate on "gasoline", what ever that is. Gasoline varies by local, time of year and how long it's been since it left the refinery. Not a pure substance & NOBODY actually measures injectors on it. I have given approximate conversions from n-heptane to gasoline but it may have no correlation to billy bobs injector emporium flow claims. Dynamic flow calibration is at least as important as static flow rate but you won't even find it on billy bob's web site because it makes his head hurt. Dynamic flow requires even more careful test condition delineation: voltage, pulse width, pulse repetition rate and injector drive circuitry. What I'm trying to say is, you are best off trying to get OE replacement injectors unless you want to spend a lot of time with Devious completely remapping every variable in the ECU.

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
dr_gallup said:
I was looking up some SAGEM fuel injector specs for another member & came across some old documentation so I thought I'd post it up here. See the attached spreadsheet. As near as I can figure, these are all the original equipment injectors from the first fuel injected Triumph to the last 955i. All 1050's have been Denso, I have no data on them.

The first two injectors on the list are big old 24 mm diameter injectors, I didn't even remember we sold those to Triumph. We don't have those exact specs in production anymore but I could always whip up a special batch. The last 3 are the smaller 13.2 mm diameter injectors. SAGEM took all the tooling over to France when they sold us off so I can't make them.

Just thought some of you might find it useful if you're trying to find replacements. Not that they ever go bad. :eboy:

A cautionary note; ALL fuel injector manufactures spec static flow rate on n-heptane because it's a pure substance. If 10% of it evaporates it's still 100% n-heptane. Most web sites will give you some ill-defined static flow rate on "gasoline", what ever that is. Gasoline varies by local, time of year and how long it's been since it left the refinery. Not a pure substance & NOBODY actually measures injectors on it. I have given approximate conversions from n-heptane to gasoline but it may have no correlation to billy bobs injector emporium flow claims. Dynamic flow calibration is at least as important as static flow rate but you won't even find it on billy bob's web site because it makes his head hurt. Dynamic flow requires even more careful test condition delineation: voltage, pulse width, pulse repetition rate and injector drive circuitry. What I'm trying to say is, you are best off trying to get OE replacement injectors unless you want to spend a lot of time with Devious completely remapping every variable in the ECU.
Interesting. I didn't even see this post til now. I bought Accel injectors from Jegs spec'd at 26 lbs/hr. I've ran the bike for a a while now and pulled the plugs last night to check that things aren't insanely lean. Plugs looked just slightly brown with a little black around the inner threads and the piston tops appeared smooth and shiny (no pitting). The response down low is a little snatchy but overall, the bike runs good with the aftemarket injectors. ......and they were CHEAPPPPPPPP!

I agree with Dr. though, there are a lot of variables that should be considered when buying replacement injectors. Maybe I just got lucky I guess.......

I do plan on buying a TB key and re-mapping the ECU at some point.......waaaay down the road........

Thanks again Dr. Gallup for the help in getting this info for me!! :drink:

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad they are working for you. You are a bit on the rich side everywhere so there should be no serious side effects. The ones you bought are from the same family so a lot of their characteristics (like voltage correction factors, etc.) will be correct.

Just a side note to every one else, Wile-E-boar's injectors had sat with fuel in them for a long (unknown) time. He had tried to get them working and gave up and bought new ones. I asked him to send the originals to me. I filled them with Ultra Cleen and flushed them out. 2 flowed exactly on spec but one is dead. It's trying to open but there must be rust or other junk inside & it just can't. I thought that was pretty good given the age and condition these things were in. Had they been either drained or at least stored with some fuel stabilizer they probably would still be in his bike.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It doesn't list anything for 2002-2004 (last generation 955i SpeedTriple and up to 06' for the 955i Daytona). Did they continue with the SAGEM fuel injection or move to the Denso units like the 1050i bikes?

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no hard data evidence one way or the other for the later 955i's. I suspect they just kept on using the previous model SAGEM injector, that makes the most sense. Someone could probably confirm that. SAGEM definitely did not release a newer injector. Triumph could have switched to the Keihin Denso injectors but I doubt it because they stayed with the SAGEM ECU. They probably just kept using the same part & nobody bothered to update the SAGEM release notes to include the later model years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This an old thread but thanks for posting the information, it's a big help to me (I'm converting a Suzuki 3 cylinder, 993cc car engine to run on a set of Triumph Speed Triple throttle bodies and it has the first injectors on the list).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Arise old thread!

Found this via google. My first post.

I have a Yr2000 Daytona and it was standing for quite some time. Has been suffering from a lean misfire on throttle with no load.

Checked compression. Very good.

Changed fuel filter and added fresh fuel, was better but still not right.

Injectors sent for cleaning/testing, up to 25% difference between the injectors and all had reduced flow.

Thanks to the OP for putting this data up, It may come in really useful.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll make you my standing TST offer: I will check them out on the master flow rig and give you a full report on their condition. No charge. PM me if interested.

Since you already paid someone to test them there's probably not a lot to be gained except I guarantee the accuracy of the measurements, most injector cleaning & flowing shops have very little idea what they are doing. Scary really. I don't know if new replacements are still available. If you buy some used ones from eBay or where ever I can check them all out and hopefully get a well matched set for you.

I've got data on 1050 injectors now, have not taken the time to see if one of our newer injectors would be a good flow/spray match. If not I could easily cook up some, we make a Denso replacement now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
BTW Gallup the second set of injectors you sent back to me are back in the bike and its running perfect! Just wanted you to know!!! Reminds me...do you like coffee? If so there's gonna be a Starbucks card coming ur way!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Why would you send him a Fukcbucks card if he likes coffee?

AA

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Sorry Knackers.

My only excuse is that I am a self confessed coffee snob.
Have been for decades
Machines, grinders, fresh beans, trying to convert a breadmaker into a bean roaster, etc...
Still couldn't come at the cat crapped coffee one of the guys brought into work though.

I am sure the good Doctor will appreciate your kind gesture, as should we all.

AA

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mostly I just like providing a service for my fellow speedie riders but testing field units gives us useful real world feedback (it would be even better if I cut up your bad injectors but I don't do that). I just sat through 3 lessons on business ethics and it would be improper for me to take anything. Could have used some coffee during those classes though. Booooorrrrrrrriiiiiiinnnnnnggggggg.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
I suggest instead that you pass it on. If someone else in this community needs something and you have it, just give it to them.

Add yourself to this list, for example: http://www.thespeedtriple.com/forum/general-discussion/14641-free-place-stay-camp.html

Or put any little thing you have but don't need in the Pay It Forward section: Pay It Forward

And last but not least, share your knowledge. If someone asks a question and you know the answer, tell it to them.

It takes a village to raise a hooligan. :drink: :beer:

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
Still couldn't come at the cat crapped coffee one of the guys brought into work though.

you are missing out. I buy a pound every time I'm out working. I was hooked after some Brits shared a pot with us. It's not "that" much better, but you can really taste the difference. It's tradition now, along with the cigars..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not to stray too far from topic, but if you're offer to test injectors is valid for newbs I have a Sprint ST I got with known bad fuel. I've cleaned everything from the tank to the injectors but other than hosing down them down with solvent they don't appear to be something I can service.

It wouldn't quite start last night, so I'm on a mission to get it straight.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts