Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if blocking the SAI will make any difference to a power commander custom map on a dyno…?

I’m basically wondering if it’s worth removing the SAI before the bike goes on the dyno

I know the power commander disables the O2 sensor but I have no idea if the O2 sensor is related to SAI

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
SAI is just a pollution control device to burn off raw fuel in the exhaust. If you aren't a climate control freak you can safely block it off or eliminate it without affecting anything else, except getting rid of the loud bangs when you close the throttle with a straight through can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Understood, thank you very much! Is there any particular reason why after blocking SAI the exhaust would still be popping like crazy?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could there be any other cause??

Its a 2017 bike with less than 1000 miles which has never had the headers tampered with, never been in the rain etc etc

This issue was none existent until putting arrow slip ons on, is it common for speed triples to develop sudden header leaks when they’ve never been touched?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
With the engine cold, make sure the exhaust cylinder head studs are torqued to spec. Check the rest of the system for any possible air leaks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys I’ll give it a shot, hopefully there’s a small leak somewhere and it clears up the problem

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay so update - SAI now removed & blocked with plates. Bike has been dyno’d with the power commander and the fuel/air mixture has been perfected, but the exhaust still pops (not loud bangs just burbles/pops on decel).

So I took the entire exhaust system apart, replaced the header gaskets, torqued everything to spec, used holts exhaust paste at every link for a full seal and used a bottle of spray water to check for leaks once everything was back together. No leaks found, no change, still pops/burbles.

This is starting to drive me mildly insane, not sure what else I can try to stop this… any ideas?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like a perfectly tuned Triple!!! Thats one of the great characteristics of these bikes, just learn to love it or maybe change marques.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts