Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me, the standard seat is fine for the riding ive done but i wouldnt mind a seat thats a bit narrower down at the tank. I'm 5.5 feet, short 'n' stubby so now i can touch the ground with both feet with the tips of my boots. For me its enough but it gets troubling when my girl gets on. Should work it out in tome tho.

Other thing is, the seat is to slippery for the leather pants that my girl is wearing so she's having a bit of a hard time staying seated in a decent position. Will the seat / leather pants roughen up or is the Corbin / Sargent seat less slippery? I'm willing to buy either one if both problems would get solved and i'd like to hear from people with the same experiences as me and what they did to work that out.

I'd also need to find a source for Corbin / sargent seats, i think i could get a Corbin trough my dealer but i havent heard of Sargent seats around here yet.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Two words:

Assless Chaps

bare assed people will slide less, untill you sweat.

....but really I run the stock seat and have nothing intelegent to say.

:smiley-asskiss:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
:afro: I don't let my lady get on the Bike !!! :gtfo: I can't ride with her in the back screaming!! :shocker: Any seat is unconvertible after 200 miles but under that, the stock one is OK I guess, there are places were you can take the stock seat and they'll reapposter it making it any way you want or spend the big bucks for a new one!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sjeesh why did i even try! :finger:

;D

Anyone that has something usefull to say? Anyone?

Not all at once!

Any time now... :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Wow, Your a little Bitch I was trying to help you shorty!!!!
Oh, why don't you just turn it into a trik!!!
:devil: :twofinger: :finger: :eek:wned:

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
The Corbin is not a lot narrower at the tank than stock, but the seat is better shaped to prevent sliding forward. Also, you can select several different fabrics.

You might be able to find a local shop that can customize your own seat with better padding, shape and materials.

Also, have you considered lowering the bike slightly?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Devious2xs said:
You might be able to find a local shop that can customize your own seat with better padding, shape and materials.
If you do this, let them have the bike as well......I took my seat off an had it recovered and a bit trimmed out at the rear section of the seat, to get the wedding tackle out of the tank and all. The factory material is rubberized and also has elastic around the perimeter, mine is recovered with carbon fiber look vinyl, which does NOT stretch out as well. End result: I now have a bit of a gap between the tank and seat since the fabric squeezed the foam down, etc. Other than that, it looks great and I have more room, comfort isn't enhanced otherwise though. The shop says that if they had the bike, they could have added foam spacers to take care of the problem.......

·
Registered
180 Posts
Corbins are great for the long haul.I had one on my SV650 but keep in mind when you get into agressive riding,left/right transfers can be a bit of a hassle because of the squared off edge of a Corbin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the Corbin (you can order direct from the factory) I had them trim the nose of the seat to help with my short inseam. The seat is really nice, but it takes about 2k miles to wear in. After wear in you should notice a slight improvement in lowered seat height. Hey Dev. how do you lower the bike? without jacking around with the bikes handling.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I didn't lower my bike - I have a 34 inch inseam.

I have heard that others have done it without issues.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i dont wanna go that way.

Its just an IF ya know, IF an aftermakt seat can fix some of my no-to-bad issues it would be fine. If not its no biggie, i'll work around it. Or under it, considering i'm short... :horse:

·
Registered
71 Posts
speedrox said:
I have the Corbin (you can order direct from the factory) I had them trim the nose of the seat to help with my short inseam. The seat is really nice, but it takes about 2k miles to wear in. After wear in you should notice a slight improvement in lowered seat height.
+1

We just ordered one of the Corbin seats with a "nose job" for my wifes SV. I wrote Corbin before ordering, and they were very helpful. She needs all the help she can get only being 5'0".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Corbin is not the only aftermarket seat maker. Take a look at Sergeant seats http://www.sargentcycle.com/triwssp3.htm. Can't vouch for them but they have a covering called Griptex which sounds like it might give her more traction.

You can lower the seat height a bit by increasing the preload on the rear shock, although this would affect handling.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've got the Sargent on mine, mainly for the extra storage underneath. It's got a little bit wider/flatter rear than the stock seat, and it is a little more grippier.

If "around here" is US any Parts Unlimited dealer can order the seat for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nah the Sargents Griptex has nothing to do with more grip, I've read both sites thoroughly to find out.

Any way if i where to order one it would be a corbin since i really dont like how the sargent looks, to bloated...kinda.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mikey-s3 said:
Nah the Sargents Griptex has nothing to do with more grip, I've read both sites thoroughly to find out.

Any way if i where to order one it would be a corbin since i really dont like how the sargent looks, to bloated...kinda.
Then why did you go through all the brain damage here? Get the Corbin.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Anyone have a comparo between the Triumph gel seat, Corbin, and Sargent. The gell seat is half the cost of Corbin or Sargent. Any big differences between the Corbin and Sargent (other than the underseat storage)? I am going to be buying a new seat soon and need to know!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Shaughnessy said:
Anyone have a comparo between the Triumph gel seat, Corbin, and Sargent. The gell seat is half the cost of Corbin or Sargent. Any big differences between the Corbin and Sargent (other than the underseat storage)? I am going to be buying a new seat soon and need to know!
I have a Sargent (albeit secondhand) and the only issue I have is with fitiment. Comfort and finish are fantastic. The fitiment may not be a big deal to some people especially if their triple is black and the seams and flanges don't show as much. I may give Corbin a shot in several months just to compare.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I have never tried the gel seat, no input here.

But I have a Corbin, and a friend has the Sargent. The Sargent has a much nicer underside than the Corbin, but the Corbin fit and finish are better IMHO, and I like the way the Corbin fits me better. If you want a bit more support behind you, the Sargent may be a better choice - it has a slightly taller lip behind the rider. The Sargent also comes with two knurled knobs for holding a rear seat cowl in place that do not require tools to remove.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I have ridden a Corbin for our S3's.. I can tell you that the look, fit and finish are awesome... but comfortable they are not. That thing was hard as a rock. 2k break in... maybe.. I didnt last 200 miles before needing a seriously long break off of that thing. With jeans on, the "carbon look" leather surface was extremely slick and and breaking sent me to the front of the seat... very annoying to constantly shift positions.

Im with you Mikey, I preferred the look of the corbin more than the sargent, but after riding a corbin, I think I'll go the custom seat route, but order a block of sargent's seat foam to do it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts