·
Registered
32,017 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Don'y you mean "Daddy" Crash?

Wow, so 5 weeks with little Wifi, almost no TV or news and only enough Facebook to handle the 50+ notifications a day to see what I've been tagged in. I'll need a min to catch up. Hands down the best trip I've been on, rode some fantastic roads, met a ton of awesome people, and saw what I think was a good chunk of what Austria has to offer. For all of you cünts that showed up to meat us or show us around for a day or two, thank you. You fockers are pretty damn cool even if you can't say aluminum. Pics, details, and videos are on there way...... slowly.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Hands down the best trip I've been on, .
As an active participant of the RMR, this hurts my feelings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
You fockers are pretty damn cool even if you can't say aluminum. Pics, details, and videos are on there way...... slowly.
You know, if you guys spelt aluminium correctly you may not pronounce it incorrectly. :nana:

It was great meeting you all and even though the Australian government gave you a rough time in the beginning I'm glad the people, scenery and experiences made up for it.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Did we get to keep either of the wimmens?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Pics, stories, etc.
:popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
5,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I really need to do a thread on the aftermath, I've been kinda busy since I got back. :gayaway:

·
Super Moderator
5,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I've been trying to get this done but I keep getting stuck on the airport story. Its a doozy, maybe I'll start drinking early and write it tonight. It'll be wordy as shit too, you've been warned.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Yay

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
5,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I've been trying to get this done but I keep getting stuck on the airport story. Its a doozy, maybe I'll start drinking early and write it tonight. It'll be wordy as shit too, you've been warned.
Just came across this. Looking back at it makes me realize I maybe shouldn't drink so much while typing.

Ok, I’ll start this with a little history. Chewie and I have done a few trips and covered more than a few miles together but its always been in the US. He kept saying it would be great if Dina and I came to Australia and he would love to show us around. After the Northeast Rally we were sitting around the bar at my house and he brought it up again and pressed for a timeframe for us to come. I told him I would turn 50 in 2017 so lets make it then. Done deal and the planning began. Fast forward a few years after many phone calls and emails we have a plan.

I get spun up every time I tell this next story so I’ll just have to see if typing it has the same effect.

After a bit of research I find out we’ll need a visa to get into the country, I asked Cheap how hard it was to get one when he went and I guess it wasn’t a big deal because at first he didn’t even remember getting one. “At LAX you pay the lady $35 each and answer a few questions and our good Homie” he tells me. Sweet. After a little research I found out you can apply online and get the same thing for $20 ea. It’s called an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) and its instantly associated with your passport number. With about a month and a half to go I applied online and got two emails back instantly, one Dina was approved, two I was denied. I call the next day to find out by answering yes to the “have you ever been convicted of a crime” question automatically means you have to apply for a 600 class visa. Website says $150 and 30 days to process. ****. I’m a little over 5 weeks from getting on the plane so I apply right away. There is a website where you can check the status and upload documentation if needed. I’m on it daily from the start. Two days in I get a more information requested notification. Simple stuff like exact charge, conviction date, fine if any, and time suspended or served. Also a letter explaining my frame of mind during the crime and what drove me to commit it. I’ll get to the charge later but it has been a long time ago and I don’t know the dates or the exact charges. After a bit of calling around I find the only way to get this info is a background check by the Virginia state police. It, takes, two, ****ing, weeks. I drove down to the VSP headquarters in Richmond and sat in the lobby and begged for some help with this from anyone that would listen. About closing time a nice lady came out and handed me my entire criminal history. I uploaded the report and letter and by the afternoon the status is changed to “Assessment in progress”. Still right at the 30 days to liftoff so I figure I’m good. The page I would check for updates quickly climbs to the top of my most frequently visited site list.

Apparently typing it has the same exact effect as telling the story.

Weeks go by and I’ve called the service center, the Australian embassy in DC, and even tried calling the immigration dept in Australia a few times. No change. The day comes its time to leave, the service center has said it could be any time now. (Side note: the service center had a pre recorded message that said “we don’t give updates, we don’t expedite, and we don’t tolerate abusive language.)

The day comes and Dina and I fly to LA to meet up with Dano and Becky, We have a 12 hour layover there and the last half of it is during working hours for the Australian Government. I’m checking status every 10 min. Finally its time to check in so I go to plan B, apply for an ETA at the desk and explain things to a human. Plan B didn’t work, I left the counter after being told I’d need to visit the closest Australian embassy and they would explain to me why I’m not getting on the plane. The closest embassy is in DC. Shits getting real. The service center I’ve been calling is closed at this hour so I call John and ask him what I have to do to make the number I had for the immigration dept in Australia work. Finally get the right number, about the time Dina and the others need to go through security. Up to this point it had beed a running joke for Dina to say she was going with or without me, wasn’t as easy as she thought when it came time to do it. Through the tears and asking me to promise her I would make it she finally got on the plane. I was able to get ahold of the service center in Australia and found out I didn’t have to fly back to DC and my visa could be approved any minute. I got a text through to Dina before she took off so hopefully she would relax a little. Quantas was nice enough to push my flight back a day free of charge. I found a quiet spot at the airport and settled in for the night, checking my email and status every 20 min or so, I finally got a little sleep anyway.

Next night I go to the counter and ask the airline to check my visa status, still nothing. Australia time it’s midday Friday before a holiday weekend, so if I don’t get a visa in the next few hours it’ll be Tuesday before anyone looks at it. I had said before if I was going to be more than 4-5 days late I wouldn’t go because I didn’t want to screw up the trip for anyone else. To say this had been causing me some stress for the past month or so would be putting it mildly, at his point I was ready to explode. I can’t say if I was angry or more frustrated that it had come to this but I had to try one last time. I called the australia service center and spent the next 45 min on hold. I almost hung up more than once because I didn’t know what I was going to say. Finally get a live person who tells me the same thing the website says “assessment in progress”, I calmly explain its said the same thing for over a month. She tells me they’re averaging 5-6 weeks now and I’ll have to wait. I was literally shaking, without raising my voice or using profanity I told her I was on the verge of flushing a $20k vacation (pulled that number out of my butt) and when I applied it was only supposed to take 30 days. I think my exact words were “at his point you owe me more than that”. Finally she got frustrated and put me on hold to call the place where they process the visas. After 20 min she comes back and said I’d have an answer by close of business today. Sweet. Because the flight is leaving in an hour or two I go back to the check in desk and talked them into pushing the flight another day. No sooner than I walked away I got an email saying my Visa was approved. Between the line at the desk and the line getting through security there was no way I could make that nights flight. No worries I had a visa and a flight. Decided to splurge and get a room at a hotel and a crown and coke. First good nights sleep in a while.

Now to the charge that caused all this. A little more than 12 years ago my dog got out and killed a neighbors cat. I was charged and convicted of owning a nuisance animal, a class 3 misdemeanor. Fine and court costs cost me less that $50 if I remember right.

I
shit
you
not.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts