Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI,

As you might be aware (or not) the Speed triple 2016+ came with LED lights. Unfortunately, it seems like the USA and Japan version are not equipped with the switch to turn off the main headlight, and drive with only the LED has DRL.

After looking in different direction, and been inspired by some people on with the Triumph Thruxton who did the switch already, I decided to jump the gun!

Here is a little tutorial if you are looking to do the same, it should save you few hours of research!

1- The new switch block
You need to order the new switch module for the left side of the handle bar:

Font Art Auto part Drawing Automotive window part

Part number 15 — Switchcube, inst Control, LH

Human body Font Rectangle Magenta Brand

/!\ you need the one with DRL if you want to have the switch!
This screenshot is from worldoftriumph.com

2- Installation!
Here is the new LH inst Control with the switch on it!

Bicycle handlebar Wood Camera accessory Electrical wiring Cable

Here is the connector for the switch that is missing on the US/Japan version.

Wood Finger Thumb Hardwood Nail

A — Remove the seats, battery cover, battery and left fairing (the one with the blinker)

B — Remove the screw and plastic part, and disconnect those 2 connectors.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

C–if you look through this opening, you can see a connector with a blue wire! This is the one!! (took me a very long time to find this one!!)

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fuel tank Light

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

D - it’s quite a pain in the a.. to fish it out of there, but you need to get it out, on the right side of the air intake piece (picture bellow is when all connected at the end, but should give you an idea of where it has to come out)

Automotive exterior Trunk Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas

E - When you get the connector accessible, you need to remove the male end that is plugged in (the blue wire). Just press the tab to release it and remove it.

Automotive tire Finger Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Tire

F - then you need to remove the current switchcube from the handle bar. Pretty easy but don’t forget the clutch sensor!

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Audio equipment Machine Bicycle part

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
G - Then follow the wire through the bike and untighten the deferent fastening point, and get the all thing removed from the bike. (pay close attention of the cable routing for the new one!)

Automotive lighting Automotive tire White Light Vehicle

Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycle part Automotive exterior Carbon

Bicycle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Bicycle frame

(the hard part is going through the plastic cover inside the frame. For this I’ve removed the 1 screw easily accessible, and then bend it to get the cable to go through. Removing the all part looks pretty complicate, and might involve a lot of disassembly!)
Here is it!

Automotive tire Automotive design Comfort Automotive exterior Armrest

H - Then install the new module using the same routing for the cable, and plug all 3 connectors!

Automotive exterior Trunk Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas

Reassemble everything! You’re good to go!

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motorcycle Vehicle

Let me know if you have question or if you do the same, just put a picture on ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Edit : Don't look to closely to my clutch lever, I got the 2015 model without the clutch sensor standoff, so until I receive the right part, I made a little fix.

Revolver Input device Gun accessory Gun barrel Trigger
Composite material Cable Auto part Electric blue Gadget
Peripheral Light Product Computer keyboard Input device

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the post! I pick up my 2017 S this week and this looks like something i will do.
Does the wire with the correct connectors come pre-attached to the new switchcube?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the late reply, but yes, it's all plug and play ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the detailed info! This is on my list of things to do to this bike; reminded every time I see a UK version (or whoever gets this option stock) they just look more pissed with only the LEDs on... can't wait and thanks for doing the "dirty work"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you for the info. However, I really don't need less light and contemplating on installing some extra LED accessory lights somehow, wondering if that switch could be re-wired to turn the extra light on and off.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can we do this for the 2018/19 RS with Cruise Control?

Can’t find the part number for the switch cube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
is the DRL EU bright or is US dimmed?

Is the intensity of the DRL really bright, as is for the European versions, or is dimmed, as on the US versions when running together with the low beam?

If you noticed, when you turn the ignition on, the DRL are very bright for a second (as they should be when running during daytime) then the low beam comes on and the DRL gets dimmed. See this video to understand what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSxibNqJuZY

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering if anyone who has done this mod (or has the UK version) noticed one of the LED DRL lamps is brighter than the other?

I went with a much cheaper option and did not purchase the DRL switchcube. I found the jumper connector with the blue wire and spliced a switch into it. It will likely just remain always on, but now there's a secret switch to shut off the main beams.

Anyway if you have the DRL available, are they evenly bright?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts