Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ever since I first saw a speed triple years and years ago I always wanted one. My last moto got nicked so I thought when I get the insurance I'll look at one.
My friends and fellow riders always said there a little fierce you know a bit of a nutters bike. But I thought sod it im getting one. It handles beauto fully cornering is great I don't even have to slow for corners just carry on at 60-70 mph and accelerate out yes very nice. When I picked up from the dealers I got out of the city and hit the motorway I thought here we go. Opened the throttle wide and literally sat there waiting for something to happen. Absolutely no power at all I thought I was going to have to get off and push. What's the big deal I love the look of it but get a bit annoyed when scooters ride past me.
My old bike was far faster when I opened the throttle wide I had a job holding on and keeping the front wheel on the ground in gears 1-4.
So anybody tell what's all the fuss about.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ever since I first saw a speed triple years and years ago I always wanted one. My last moto got nicked so I thought when I get the insurance I'll look at one.
My friends and fellow riders always said there a little fierce you know a bit of a nutters bike. But I thought sod it im getting one. It handles beauto fully cornering is great I don't even have to slow for corners just carry on at 60-70 mph and accelerate out yes very nice. When I picked up from the dealers I got out of the city and hit the motorway I thought here we go. Opened the throttle wide and literally sat there waiting for something to happen. Absolutely no power at all I thought I was going to have to get off and push. What's the big deal I love the look of it but get a bit annoyed when scooters ride past me.
My old bike was far faster when I opened the throttle wide I had a job holding on and keeping the front wheel on the ground in gears 1-4.
So anybody tell what's all the fuss about you speed triple riders think your all hard motorcyclists but your just a bunch of moped riders. Anybody tell me what the big deal is.
take it back to the dealer, they are not all like that, something is amiss big time !
methinks you bought a lemon, how many did you test before parting with your
hard earned , and if they rode the same why buy one ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No it's brand new there's nothing wrong with it I'm just used to a faster bike for example old one used to do 85 mph in first gear before it hit the engine cut off limiter. I can only get about nearly 60 out of this before it start coughing and spluttering the old one was 165 BHP this once is only 140 odd have to get it remapped and fettled see if I can get some proper power out of it. Of coarse I'm exaggerating when I say I was waiting for something to happen it does move fast enough really I love the way it sounds and as I decelerate it pops and bangs which make every body look it has a killer paint job customised by 8 Ball looks amazing

As you can see the blue fades to black around all the bodywork edges and all the writing is airbrushed in no decals.
Any way I've just bin diagnosed with a touch of cancer so I think it will see me out Ha!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like previously you had a bigger engine with cheap chassis and suspension, they normally handle like wild horses ready to shat you off and that’s part of the appeal of some big Japanese fours. With a speedy you know where your money has been spent in terms of confidence and handling with that chassis feeding so much more back to the rider which makes it more enjoyable to ride. I went from a bandit 1200 to a 1050 triple and was disappointed by the missing long legged raw power, torque and bonkers top end speed. But It’s how the speedy gets there that is the appeal for most owners, and man that sound bouncing off the eardrums is something pretty sweet. If you want all out power then the speedy ain’t for you man, and I doubt most owners with years of riding experience would appreciate being called “moped riders”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like previously you had a bigger engine with cheap chassis and suspension, they normally handle like wild horses ready to shat you off and that’s part of the appeal of some big Japanese fours. With a speedy you know where your money has been spent in terms of confidence and handling with that chassis feeding so much more back to the rider which makes it more enjoyable to ride. I went from a bandit 1200 to a 1050 triple and was disappointed by the missing long legged raw power, torque and bonkers top end speed. But It’s how the speedy gets there that is the appeal for most owners, and man that sound bouncing off the eardrums is something pretty sweet. If you want all out power then the speedy ain’t for you man, and I doubt most owners with years of riding experience would appreciate being called “moped riders”.

Yes sorry that was a bit cruel but as I said I've just bin diagnosed with cancer and am not quite sure what to feel. Your the other was a Yamahs and the first thing I noticed about riding it was how wel it handles and can do anything with it. To br honest I'm delighted with it always wanted one looks amazing and it's a Triumph

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes sorry that was a bit cruel but as I said I've just bin diagnosed with cancer and am not quite sure what to feel. Your the other was a Yamahs and the first thing I noticed about riding it was how wel it handles and can do anything with it. To br honest I'm delighted with it always wanted one looks amazing and it's a Triumph

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
2 things.

1 - because it is a long stroke motor, it runs out of revs. Even the earlier 955 models from nearly 20 years ago revved to over 10,500 rpm. The things cut out at 9450 rpm. So this means that it'll always struggle at the top end because of the rev limit limitation - this is why it won't do more than 60mph in 1st gear.
But then this bike was never about top end.
If it's too end you want, you bought the wrong bike...
So if you came from a Tuono or Jap Litre superbike, Speedy is gonna seem tame.

2 - If you want to liven up Speedy, throw on a 45 tooth rear sprocket. If you wanna spend most of your time fighting wheelies, throw on a 17 tooth front sprocket too.
Then report back if it's still boring, or if it woke up.
In summation, typical things to liven these bikes up, exhaust, change sprocket(s)/gearing, ecu remap on dyno.
You'll to top out at 150mph, but likely have a wild time getting there, and you WILL feel the torque launch you out of corners.
You probably should've waited and purchased the new 1200 Speedy...

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Agree with Santa and I like wheelies. Watch some of Kevin Carmichaels vids and you’ll see there’s more out there than top end to have fun and get yourself in trouble with.

·
Registered
2022 Speed Triple 1200 RS
13 Posts
Yeah that gen Speed had about the same whp as the new Street 765, but the Speed was definitely heavier. That power level is quick when spooled up, but not really a nutters bike. The new Speed 1200 should fix that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Look at the torque graphs on the Speed T (2019+) compared to the other top nakeds. Yes, up in the MotoGP end of the performance spectrum (that I personally never use on the road) there is more HP but down in the "always used everyday, everywhere" low and midrange the Speed is producing the most luscious usable torque. If 148hp isn't enough and you think you can use another 30+ somewhere then go for a Tuono, etc or buy the new ST 1200. Beware though, they'll cost you substantially more!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts