Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1995 Speed Triple and after some days of riding, I experience the following problem. I can start the bike, with and without using the choke, and after warming-up, it idles. Then, when I start riding it, it flutters/stutters and the engine stalls, after which it won't start again. It does not sound like an electrical problem and I have ensured the battery is fully charged. I am not a technical person, and the only thing I can find is that two lines close to the carburettor seem to connect to nothing -- see the picture. I am not sure whether this is even related to the problem, but I'd love to hear any tips of what I might check.

BTW The bike has a proper maintenance history, which I have on paper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It sat for only a week in my garage. I'll look at cleaning the carbs. Thanks for the suggestion.
I bought a 1995 Speed Triple and after some days of riding, I experience the following problem. I can start the bike, with and without using the choke, and after warming-up, it idles. Then, when I start riding it, it flutters/stutters and the engine stalls, after which it won't start again. It does not sound like an electrical problem and I have ensured the battery is fully charged. I am not a technical person, and the only thing I can find is that two lines close to the carburettor seem to connect to nothing -- see the picture. I am not sure whether this is even related to the problem, but I'd love to hear any tips of what I might check.

BTW The bike has a proper maintenance history, which I have on paper.

View attachment 44285
Those look like the carb vent lines they are usually tucked in front of the carbs between the intake manifolds. The starting ok then sputtering and dying when trying to pull away sounds like a carb fueling issue most likely related to plugged pilot or main jets. Happens all the time if debri plugs them up. Sounds like they need cleaned. Just did it to my 95 S3, plan on about a 6-8 hrs work to remove, disassemble, clean and reinstall. I bought a jet kit from 6Sigma that works great correcting stock lean jetting issues. 👍

·
Registered
4 Posts
Those look like the carb vent lines they are usually tucked in front of the carbs between the intake manifolds. The starting ok then sputtering and dying when trying to pull away sounds like a carb fueling issue most likely related to plugged pilot or main jets. Happens all the time if debri plugs them up. Sounds like they need cleaned. Just did it to my 95 S3, plan on about a 6-8 hrs work to remove, disassemble, clean and reinstall. I bought a jet kit from 6Sigma that works great correcting stock lean jetting issues. 👍
It sat for only a week in my garage. I'll look at cleaning the carbs. Thanks for the suggestion.
One other thing:
Before you tear into the carbs you should to make sure the vacuum line that runs from the top cover of the left carb to the back of the Petcock is properly connected and not broken or cracked. If this is defective it could also cause your problem since the Petcock is vacuum actuated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. As it turns out, Scottemay was right -- the vacuum line was cracked. After cutting of the cracked part, it runs perfectly fine again. I will replace the whole line soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts