Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would share this little nugget of info , reading through the manual for my speed triple r , there is a section on disabling the abs temporarily . I.E say if you’re doing a track day . well upon initial investigation this option does not appear to be available . Upon reading an issue of Fast Bikes mag they were having the same issue with their long termer. Apparently the disable function needs to be enabled by the dealer .. or so they say … anyhow to cut a long story short upon speaking with the factory via the local triumph importer , this function is only available on models with the last 6 digits of the vin starting from 535xxx ( bugger … mine is 532xxx )

So just in case any of you bods try to figure this one out I will save you the trouble …

I am thinking of pulling the ABS fuse for my first track day , as this is what they did on the Speed Triple R Launch ( for the press) @ Jerez … Not sure if ABS on the track is such a good idea … anybody else out there done this ???

cheers

Shaun

· Registered
7,700 Posts
I don't know why so many people think ABS is such a bad thing. I would rather have it, especially on the track.

· Registered
10,870 Posts
I think that folks who really know how to brake can do better without ABS. That's likely a few amount of people. For the rest of us, ABS can save us. I'd personally keep it but to each their own.

· Registered
30,727 Posts
NT, that's a common misconception. There have been a couple of tests with identical bikes with and without ABS ridden by professional riders. All of them believed they braked harder without ABS, but when they measured actual breaking distances the ABS bike braked shorter, and their lap times were better. They've done the same tests with cars.

Now in the stunt community there's some things you can't do with ABS enabled so that might be a situation where you would want to disable it, but for a track day you'd probably better off leaving it enabled.

· Registered
4,520 Posts
I doubt McGuinness is using anything even remotely close to the bargain bin production systems on Triumphs.
I'm sure every bit of his brake system is completely different but that doesn't mean the ABS function is really that much better. It's called the democratization of mass production. Making high volumes of widgets reduces costs allowing putting highly sophisticated functionality into commodity products. Just look at smart phones if you doubt it.

· Registered
25 Posts
.....this function is only available on models with the last 6 digits of the vin starting from 535xxx ( bugger … mine is 532xxx )
My VIN ends with 577050 and like the others mentioned, I do not have the ABS function so I can disable it on my screen or bike. I do have ABS and have tried to find the option to disable it.
WTF?

Cheers,
Chris.

· Registered
25 Posts
My VIN ends with 577050 and like the others mentioned, I do not have the ABS function so I can disable it on my screen or bike. I do have ABS and have tried to find the option to disable it.
WTF?

Cheers,
Chris.
I found out that it has to be enabled by the dealer or it won't show. They come out of the crate with the function disabled so it won't show on the display.

Answers my question, but will that explain it on all ABS uquipped Speed Triples?

Cheers,
Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.