Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been discussed before, but here goes: I am going to be getting a new Triumph in the near future, currently I have an 03 Speedy, love the bike, but it's time for something new. The more I think about riding on a track, the more it appeals to me... I know that some of you take your bikes to the track on a (somewhat) regular basis, so how does it do? I have understood the speed triple to be more of an all-rounder bike, and I know when I push my 03, the front end gets a bit vague, so I wouldn't want to take that to the track. Is it the seating position that makes that much of a difference? Would clip ons help? How much different is it on a track when you're on a daytona (675) type bike and the s3? Is it HUGE, or would you have to be a pro to really do any better on one or the other? Thanks-
-Ryan

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
If it's entertainment you're looking for....the S3 is a blast on the track. A 675 is gonna corner faster. That's just pure physics. It's much lighter and set up for that purpose.

I take my S3 out and have a blast. I can scare the slow guys on faster bikes, but faster riders are just that and they'll blow me away on whatever they're riding.

I'd say, for entertainment, the S3 is a blast on the track. If you want to work your way up to racing and to winning, get a GSXR 750 or a Daytona 675. And if you're just starting out, get a Suzuki SV650, big bang for the buck. I've seen plenty of seasoned riders that stick with the SV and ride the ever-loving-shit outa it for years.

kjazz

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I have to agree w/kjazz. The S3 is a fun track bike, and it gives lots of guys on what should be faster bikes fits. She even gives fast guys on equal bikes the business. I think the USD front suspension on the newer ('05-up) Speed 3 is going to help your front end vagueness alot. I have experienced no front end problems at what I consider my limit - the rear end gets a little vague under heavy braking at the limit, but I think an Ohlins would fix that.

Yes - clip-ons would help. But yes, ultimately a true sport bike is a more correct tool for the job.

For me, I don't plan on entering any races with Speedy. I can only afford the one bike right now, and since I want to be comfortable the other 98% of the time I ride her, the S3 is more than adequate. I see clip-ons in my future, just for the track - I think I'd switch controls back to the upright bar for daily riding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.