Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading up on sprockets and want to make sure I've got my facts straight.

Standard rear is 42T, can I go as high as 45T on the standard chain.

Is it better to drop to a 17 on the front and a 43T rear? I suspect that's a trickier install, right?

Are there any advantages other than weight of using an AL rear sprocket?

Can I have my speedo reconfigured without a tune boy?

This seems like a pretty cost effective way of getting more acceleration, is there a downside I'm not considering?

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Down side - top end suffers, shorter gearing can make 1st gear very abrupt, possibly second gear too. Gas mileage will also suffer a bit.

I'm up two in the rear (44). Benefits to going up in the rear as opposed to down in the front are: easier install, less stress on chain (chain suffers as it goes around a smaller radius sprocket), less chance of wearing down the chain guard on the SSSA.

As for the speedo correction, you'll have to call the dealer and ask, but I suspect that recalibrating the speedo isn't possible with the factory tuning tool. Otherwise correcting the inherent speedo error should be part of the set-up.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why do you fell the need to regear? First gear is already pretty short, and regearing will make it borderline useless. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just wondering because the stock gearing seems pretty good already.

·
Registered
487 Posts
i personally love one tooth down on my front, but then again in might behoove me to put it the way i got it.... if i ever get it back...
yes,, first becomes much snappier... but i like it. i like dead-stop to one wheel when i want. whatever you like man, i think if i were going for a tour or more than a two state ride, i'ld probably gear the other way... it does make you work..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kcjones said:
Just out of curiosity, why do you fell the need to regear? First gear is already pretty short, and regearing will make it borderline useless. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just wondering because the stock gearing seems pretty good already.
I usually ride in the foot hills and mountains which means I'm between 6,000 and 10,000ft above sea level. That robs a NA engine of significant amounts of power. I never even get close to top speed so I'm prepared to exchange top speed for acceleration. But not if it's going to ruin the quality of the ride.

You make a good point though, I don't usually finish a ride thinking 'I wish that bike was faster'. ;)

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
kcjones said:
:sign5: ...i used to run 1 down and 4 up on my old r1...but that was because it made such useless real world power...speedy is just right...plus i don't want to be totally left behind when my friends and i reach 130mph+...now if you are trying to master slow wheelies thats a diff story :smitty:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is reading some of the posts here about power wheelies that got me thinking about gearing it. If I whack my S3 open in first at 4-5k it doesn't come up. Sets off fast but doesn't lift the front. I figure its the altitude.

In the future I want an exhaust and tuneboy but until I've got the readies, gearing looked like a cheap alternative.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Re-gearing is a good option. Like I said I'm 2 up in the rear and even though I've contemplated going back to stock after mods, I'll prob leave it where it is for most of the time. 90% of my riding is twisties and short jaunts. No need for top end, and the extra acceleration is a hoot. 1st gear is still very usable as it sits right now.

I think I payed $50 for a new rear. For that price, try it and if you don't like it I'm sure somebody on this forum will be willing to take it off your hands. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.