Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have this odd clacking noise , video linked. I thought for sure I would find something when taking the stator cover off but I can't find anything loose or see anything weird. Do I need to pull the Rotor ? Looks like it requires a special tool :(
removed

Quick Pic with cover pulled
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
It can be really hard to locate noises. Try using a long handled screw driver. Put the handle to your ear and touch the tip to various metal parts. My first guess is it's the cam drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It can be really hard to locate noises. Try using a long handled screw driver. Put the handle to your ear and touch the tip to various metal parts. My first guess is it's the cam drive.
Yeah, not seeing anything in the stator. I'll put it back together, add oil, and see if I can narrow it down better. Cam Drive meaning the cam chain? I might end up taking it somewhere. Not sure its safe to ride or not though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, but I can check them. I'll put it back together, see if I can narrow it down to location (event though I thought I could feel best on the stator cover). I just did the valve clearance on my 700 Yamaha Grizzly, I'll look into where the valve covers are on this, setting Top dead center, etc and check them

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
So I have this odd clacking noise , video linked. I thought for sure I would find something when taking the stator cover off but I can't find anything loose or see anything weird. Do I need to pull the Rotor ? Looks like it requires a special tool :(
removed

Quick Pic with cover pulled
View attachment 44566
Sorry, I'm a bit late on this one.
My tip is, pull that stator cover again, and check the tightness of the reraining bolts securing the stator to the stator cover.
Body jewelry Silver Jewellery Circle Metal

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
2 of the 3 retaining bolts.

Water Street light Tints and shades Auto part Gas

Water Fluid Gesture Freezing Metal

I had heard and felt occasional noise and vibration intermittently about 3 months earlier, then it seemed to stop. Couldn't pin point the source. Until one night in the way to work, the noise and vibration became constant and very loud, sounding nasty with very bad vibration too.
Seems they can gradually work their way out over time.

In regards to the cam chain tensioner, my 06 has over 115,000 miles on it and the cam chain and tensioner are untouched.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts