Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finding it very difficult to find any info on steering dampers for my 1050, can someone provide info on my delema?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
That's exactly what I've been looking for. I've never found one that worked on Speedy, Thanks for posting the link. Now I just have to find out if thwy make one are he did some modifications.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I really need to read the whole thing first, That's a custom mounted piece. I'd like to know how he did it.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Is the extremetech only one that mount on the top of the top yoke?

LSL and Öhlins are on the side, right?

The ones mounted under are pretty much useless since you can't adjust them while riding.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
premier said:
The ones mounted under are pretty much useless since you can't adjust them while riding.
Would you need to fiddle with the damper once you have found a setting you like? At least Matris advertises their dampers to have speed sensitive operation, so if it is going to catch fast slappers, why the need to constantly change stiffness manually? I have never had a damper on my bikes and do not really think Speedy needs one, so this might be a daft question.

I like the under yoke mounting as it looks much cleaner than the kneepoking side mounts. Above yoke might be best - maybe some Gixxer bracket could be adapted to mount on the top yoke nut + tank mount bolt?

I also wonder how much a damper will mask the S3 tendency to loosen it's head bearing? If the bearing comes really loose before you notice, a major slapper/weave might be on order, damper or no damper.

G

·
Martin_R said:
Would you need to fiddle with the damper once you have found a setting you like? At least Matris advertises their dampers to have speed sensitive operation, so if it is going to catch fast slappers, why the need to constantly change stiffness manually?
I was wondering the same thing. The friends I know who've had steering dampers never seemed to adjust them. In fact I think a lot of them have no adjustment anyway.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I've never used a damper either, but I'm thinking I'd need different settings for city riding, highways, twisties and track?

I wouldn't want to stop to adjust the dampener when I ride out of the city to the twisties via highway.

G

·
Stop and adjust your dampener? Are you bringing a garden hose with you or something ;D

Nah, I think after initial setup it's a set and forget type thing. How were you thinking you would adjust it differently for the highway anyway? It's not like you'd need it tighter because the bike is less likely to tank slap on the highway anyway and you wouldn't need it looser because you're not turning the bars much.

Also as Martin pointed out the good ones are speed sensitive so they'll have little impact when you're turning the bars but the damping will kick in when the bike tries to headshake.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
The only bike I had a steering damper on was my RD350 L/C. It was a side mount but much cleaner than that one NewSpeed sells for Speedies. I could reach down and adjust it but really once I found a setting i liked I just left it there. I don't see any reason why you would change it for city/highway/twisties driving. Maybe for track days you would want to play with it a bit but you could do that in the pits.

I've never had any headshake on an S3 but I'm not pushing it at race track speeds on the street.

The Matris looks like da bomb but tres cher.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I'm not at all sure a steering damper is necessary on Speedy. It's a very, very stable motorcycle from a geometry and CG standpoint. Of course, that could change with clip-ons, Gixxer front end, and other mods that would make it much closer to a track-specific bike.

In my experience, though, I have had only one tank-slapper on the Triumph at the track, and it was over as fast as it started - once the rear tire hooked back up!

·
Registered
817 Posts
I've had a couple of instances where I would have liked one. Things never got as far as a tankslapper, but only because I kept on the throttle.

I may very well heed DeCosse's warning and put one on once I get lighter wheels.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
how does a steering damper prevent tank slappers....my knowledge is that a steering damper makes it more difficult for the forks to turn...maybe i just do not understand exactly what a tank slapper is??

1 - 20 of 62 Posts