Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
There is another one that is longer. I bought it first but it was too close to the peg for me. I might even still have it somewhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I tried the Sunline approach but found the lever was too long, too close to the foot peg. So I started looking at alternatives, starting with the yz80/85 of the Sunline mentioned. The toothed shifter shaft is similar to many bikes out there.

I found and tried the one below for a while until I realised it was shit ugly, though perfectly sized. Its a MCS FG5 (see below)
Font Water Rectangle Magenta Automotive lighting
Instead of ripping my boot apart, I found a walking stick tip from Clark Rubber fitted well, with a little work on the belt sander. Add some holes for a couple of reasons; 1. looks and 2. to weaken it so the lever bent not the shaft (and as I found out after a minor oops it can be bent back).

Naturally paint it black...cause I like it. The finished product.....(well used and a bit grubby, I ride more than I polish).

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper

As mentioned above, if I had a sunline or any other Alloy shifter out there when I decided I loved my speed so much I had to lie down and cuddle it in the middle of a wet intersection on new tyres (yeah I'm an idiot) then the alloy shifter would have bent and snapped or at least snapped if I tried to bend it back. This little mild steel shifter above just happily bent back into place and I rode on. I used an allen key to help lever it back into shape ... through the holes. Those holes are handy !!

Total cost - Lever $20, Rubber$5...Thats Oztralian pacific pesos, so you murricans should get it all for $3.50 !

·
Registered
177 Posts
I tried the Sunline approach but found the lever was too long, too close to the foot peg. So I started looking at alternatives, starting with the yz80/85 of the Sunline mentioned. The toothed shifter shaft is similar to many bikes out there.

I found and tried the one below for a while until I realised it was shit ugly, though perfectly sized. Its a MCS FG5 (see below)
View attachment 35162
Instead of ripping my boot apart, I found a walking stick tip from Clark Rubber fitted well, with a little work on the belt sander. Add some holes for a couple of reasons; 1. looks and 2. to weaken it so the lever bent not the shaft (and as I found out after a minor oops it can be bent back).

Naturally paint it black...cause I like it. The finished product.....(well used and a bit grubby, I ride more than I polish).

View attachment 35170

As mentioned above, if I had a sunline or any other Alloy shifter out there when I decided I loved my speed so much I had to lie down and cuddle it in the middle of a wet intersection on new tyres (yeah I'm an idiot) then the alloy shifter would have bent and snapped or at least snapped if I tried to bend it back. This little mild steel shifter above just happily bent back into place and I rode on. I used an allen key to help lever it back into shape ... through the holes. Those holes are handy !!

Total cost - Lever $20, Rubber$5...Thats Oztralian pacific pesos, so you murricans should get it all for $3.50 !
Noice.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Does anybody have the inside scoop on where to find one of these sunline shifters? I'm googling around for Sunline part # 25-01-040 and it appears that they were discontinued and nobody has them in stock anymore? I did the direct lever upgrade on my old 07 triple and really liked how it made shifting smoother. I'm trying to do the same to my 08 I have now but want to be sure to get the right one or something similar that will work. I want to stick with a black one as the rest of the bike is murdered out.

Thanks

·
Registered
563 Posts
Does anybody have the inside scoop on where to find one of these sunline shifters? I'm googling around for Sunline part # 25-01-040 and it appears that they were discontinued and nobody has them in stock anymore? I did the direct lever upgrade on my old 07 triple and really liked how it made shifting smoother. I'm trying to do the same to my 08 I have now but want to be sure to get the right one or something similar that will work. I want to stick with a black one as the rest of the bike is murdered out.

Thanks

I just went to Amazon (Ebay works too) and searched "yz80 shifter", quite a few options out there from other brands. Mine is a Tusk which works equally well as the Sunline on my old Speed. Plus, it comes in black with different color options for the knurled part.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ive since moved my rear sets further back and have again needed the longer shifter, but cannot find the sunline. I went to MX store at Burleigh and grabbed a ZETA Revolver for a yz85, super nice fit and it has an eccentric toe piece so you can finely adjust the toe position. Real nice bit of kit.

Attachments

41 - 52 of 52 Posts