Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
30,727 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
snip...

Among the tools left in dad's big Snap-On box is this tiny screw starting tool. To use it, you twist the head until the center piece is lined up, then a spring "cocks" it in place. Engage it in the screw and it tries to pop back diagonal, but instead wedges in the screw slot. Super handy :)

View attachment 35538 View attachment 35546

.../snip
I have one of those exact screw starters, and they are the bomb for things like that.

· Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
long winter nights

Got a big shipment of parts in from Bike Bandit this past week, and scratched out an hour or two each night to start some of the reassembly.

Starting with the rear brake. I noticed when I was trying to remove the rear wheel that the brake wasn't releasing properly (nor was it holding properly), so off came the caliper. This is huge for me, because of all the systems on a bike, the stupid brakes are my least favorite. Brake fluid sucks, and bleeding brakes sucks, so I avoid it like the plague, generally. This project, though, has got me hooked. So much so that at this point, I have a goal to touch every piece of her. So off came the caliper, and after considerable work using dubious methods, I got the thing apart. It Was pretty nasty! Full of corrosion and old brake gunk, the pistons weren't at all free to move.
Light Automotive engine gasket Gas Auto part Machine

I went to town on it with brake cleaner (maybe my favorite noxious chemical) and shop rags until all the **** was out, then I pulled the o-rings to clean and re-lubricate them with some silicone grease. I cleaned the pistons thoroughly, and everything moved freely once reassembled. I proved it immediately by smashing my thumb when testing their movement with a light burst of air from the compressor!

Automotive tire Gas Rim Bicycle part Bumper

I installed the new master cylinder kit in the rear m/c while I was at it. If I'm going to have to fill and bleed the system anyway...

Musical instrument Ratchet Tool Wood Auto part

...and it all went back together with fresh fluid. It only took me fifteen minutes to bleed it, I guess.

I got the new throttle body gasket, and so I cleaned & scraped all the gasket surfaces. As I was doing so, I noticed this little step at the bottom of the injector port. Obviously somebody at the factory just a little slack on milling the port all the way thru - probably in spec, but I have access to a machine shop, so I undertook the task of removing the step.

Automotive tire Tread Wood Sleeve Tints and shades

The port was exactly .500", so I was able to chuck a standard reamer up in a knee mill and finish the job in about five minutes.

[video]https://youtu.be/YbjMFF2NctY[/video]

Insect Fluid Automotive lighting Rim Automotive tire

Upon test-fitting the throttle bodies, I noticed just a tiny bit of port-matching was required. The intake ports on the head are rarely the same size and shape as the ports on the throttle bodies they mate to, so just cleaning up the flow is the goal - this is NOT "porting," which requires the use of a flow table and some more sophisticated grinding (or extrude-honing) tools like I don't have. You can see the tiniest lip protruding into the flow area at the end of the blue pointer...

Automotive tire Hood Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

So then I used a Sharpie to mark the area to be removed, and busted out the die grinder for a few minutes.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Rim

As you can see - very minimal modification, just a smoothing.

Automotive tire Rim Auto part Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system

And then as I was mounting up the TB assembly, I noticed the throttle cable felt like ass. Curious - wonder if the cable is frayed up in the throttle tube?

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Font

...No, it was just a mud-dauber nest. Cleaned all the red-clay mud out, added a little silicone lube up in the cable housing, and it feels like glass!

Throttle bodies back on and torqued, fuel injectors installed in the rail, rail installed and torqued.
New valve cover gasket and NGK iridium plugs installed. Coil packs in place.
Starting to look like something....

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Car

· Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
pimptastic

A couple updates ago, I mentioned I had big plans for that missing alternator cover...well here's the finished product! I noticed it was aluminum, and the old black anodization had faded to greenish-gray, with some bare metal even peeking thru. I bead-blasted all the old finish off, then polished it back to an eggshell texture - I think it's just crappy aluminum and wouldn't really take a shine. Then I handed it off to the ano guys upstairs and asked them to throw it in the next turquoise batch. I love the color, and it's the only flashy bit on the bike, but it matches a subtle blue piping on the Corbin saddle I scored, so there it is.

While I was involved in government work, I took an endmill to the front sprocket cover to open up the faux-windows it had embossed in the cover. Just another personal touch :afro:

Electronic instrument Input device Gadget Audio equipment Telephone

I decided the solution for the IACV nightmare was to forego the hose altogether and ordered some 5/16" aluminum tubing, and a piece of hi-temp silicone hose. I made a template for each by bending up a piece of bailing wire, then cut and bent a tube for each cylinder that wouldn't interfere with throttle or wiring or the airbox. I'm pretty stoked on the finished product! Hope I interpreted the FSM correctly when I routed each line...

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

After having to reconfigure my homemade stand for header clearance, I installed the newly-ceramic-coated headers. I have to HIGHLY recommend http://www.jet-hot.com for the job. They were incredibly responsive, fast, and a bargain at $125 for the polished 1250degF coating. Lifetime warranty too!

Automotive tire Wood Gas Bumper Automotive wheel system

I tightened the oil filter and drain plug, then filled it with 3-1/2 quarts of 20W-50 Castrol dino oil for the startup and re-break-in oil. It's HARD to find a 20W-50 full synthetic these days. Might have to go the AMSOil route. I fitted the radiator and all the coolant hoses, which have to be in place before the airbox can be fitted, and filled the cooling system. I was getting excited to hear her crank, so I turned the key on and the ECU made its funny little noise, but no "whirr, click" from the fuel system. No fuel in the fuel rail, none coming out the tank discharge. CRAP. I bet the fuel pump is stuck (or bad) from all that varnish.

Food Wood Baked goods Ingredient Cuisine
...Yep

This is an in-tank pump, so it's a brushless motor, sealed on the 12v end. The other end is a really simple gear-type pump with a plastic impeller. I Unswaged it and removed the suction head. Once I got the shaft to break free (by gently turning it with pliers), I verified the thing would spin under power by hooking it back to the harness. It was sluggish, but still viable.

At the solvent sink, I took the impeller out and scrubbed/picked/dug the varnish out of the suction head, the impeller, and the discharge end. I blew out the discharge check valve, and put it all back together the way it had been, swaging it back together with punch and channel-locks. A quick go on the buffing wheel, and it was ready to reinstall:

Nickel Gas Cylinder Auto part Wood

Wood Gas Machine Auto part Nut
...back together with new safety wire on the discharge hose.

Once the fuel pump was back in place, I turned the key on and heard it cycle as designed. It took a few minutes and nearly a spritz of gasoline in my eye to bleed the fuel rail, but she cranked on the second try! I heard it trying to hit, but it still had air bubbles in the fuel supply. It fired right off once I had that sorted.

Now she sits waiting for a chain - but first I have to install the new swingarm chain buffer, as the old one was nearly worn right through - there were chainlink grooves in the mounting bolts! Of course, there was not a single one in the country, so it should be here tomorrow from the UK. Then I can install the new 520 chain and possibly take her out for the first time!

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
...meanwhile, she lurks quietly in the garage.

· Registered
4,520 Posts
Nice detail work cleaning up the TB, etc. The filter sock on that fuel pump looks pretty ugly, hope it doesn't start shedding chunks of varnish into the fuel system. That price to ceramic coat your header is $10 less than they charged me 12 years ago, amazing. Mine has held up very well.

· Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Nice detail work cleaning up the TB, etc. The filter sock on that fuel pump looks pretty ugly, hope it doesn't start shedding chunks of varnish into the fuel system. That price to ceramic coat your header is $10 less than they charged me 12 years ago, amazing. Mine has held up very well.
I thoroughly cleaned and inspected the sock, and tho discolored, it was intact & seemed of good integrity. I took it around the neighborhood for the first time last night, and HOLY SMOKES the 885 might sound better than the 1050!

· Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
one last thing...always

The swingarm buffer was the wrong part. I mistakenly assumed the SSSA would have remained about the same thru all the iterations, but alas - not so. I cleaned up the old one and reinstalled it. I figure I can pop the rear sprocket off pretty quick when I get the correct one, just itching to get the bike on the ground.

I fitted the new chain, and not unexpectedly needed to adjust the eccentric hub for the unstretched length. Upon loosening the clamp bolt, no amount of spanner, cursing, or hammer was having any effect - it was STUCK. Oh well - probably need to service the spindle bearings anyway.

Back off came the rear wheel and brake caliper. I loosened the cush drive fixing nut and removed it, then punched the spindle out the brake side. No signs of trouble yet. Then removed the giant circlip from the caliper mounting plate. At this point, the eccentric hub should have pushed out of the swingarm by hand, but it was still stuck. I wedged the clamp open just a bit with a screwdriver and whacked the hub with my deadblow hammer, and it finally, if grudgingly, came out of the swingarm. The causes of my trouble were quite evident - corrosion and pitting on both ID and OD of the hub mounting area.

Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Rim Gas Auto part Machine

Also exacerbating the problem (not really pictured) was the fact that previous users had adjusted the chain using hammer and punch rather than the spanner. The eccentric hub is only cast aluminum, so it was deformed and mushroomed against the swingarm as well.

I went to town with Scotchbrite and WD-40 to remove the corrosion. I also filed the edges of the spanner notches back flat. Once clean, I broke out the Phil Wood grease - a holdover from my days in the bicycle shop. This stuff is truly waterproof! I spread a thin layer on the surface of the eccentric hub to hopefully hold the corrosion at bay.

Automotive tire Rim Gas Auto part Natural material
Font Gas Cylinder Machine Event

Cleaned and reassembled, the hub now moves freely by hand. I packed the needle bearing with more Phils, and spread a thin layer on the spindle. After 56,000 miles, the bearings themselves were in good shape, showing no signs of damage or rust within. The sealed unit on the cush drive side rotated smoothly.

Automotive tire Camera lens Automotive lighting Camera accessory Flash photography
Fluid Gas Engineering Machine Auto part

Fully serviced, the chain was super easy to install and adjust. Ready to roll once more!

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle

I was able to take her for a quick spin before the snow started falling again, and man oh man have I missed that signature Triple wail. This bike might sound better at full song than my 1050 did with the full Arrow low system. Perhaps the smaller displacement per cylinder, particularly the shorter stroke?

Oh Em Gee I can't wait for Spring now!

· Registered
30,727 Posts

· Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
At this point I've put probably 500 miles on her, and she's pretty mint. The fueling isn't as refined as the later models, definitely needs a little smoothing and some dyno time, maybe find a sync stick and dial in the TB's. She flat out howls though.

It's nice to be throwing around a big girl again though, after years on the R6 and then the motard. I think the forks may need stiffer springs, and I've yet to go through the rear shock linkage. I doubt she'll ever handle as well as my '05, but she hustles pretty good for a twenty (!) year old bike.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

· Registered
15 Posts
Mate I’ve got a 97 T509
And the fueling is pretty awful
I think triumph sorted it in 1999 when the speedy jumped to 955
Mines only done 52,000 and it’s riden sparingly on short runs once a month or so, it’s the first bike I’ve ever owned that I wouldn’t sell, I’ve had it for 16 years and I just love it... am looking at a later 08 or up now
But I’ll never sell this bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
15 Posts
Mate I’ve got a 97 T509
And the fueling is pretty awful
I think triumph sorted it in 1999 when the speedy jumped to 955
Mines only done 52,000 and it’s riden sparingly on short runs once a month or so, it’s the first bike I’ve ever owned that I wouldn’t sell, I’ve had it for 16 years and I just love it... am looking at a later 08 or up now
But I’ll never sell this bike

My radiator sits crocked too, but it’s been down the road a couple of times!!!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts