Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Hoping for some insight! I own a 2001 Speed Triple, absolutely love it. Yep 2001, with a little over 12k miles. But I've run into a challenge with securing the tail light and I'm desperate for some help. I own the shop manual, unfortunately it's not helpful in this regard. The light is always loose and neither my shop or the service shop in SF have been able to figure it out. How are these connectors supposed to fit? Are there some obscure pictures pointing to the connection? The metal connectors are oddly designed and the last Triumph shop (SF) over tightened it breaking the plastic housing apart. I have a new light, and now I'm concerned it'll break because it bounces up and down so much. It's been frustrating to no end. I hope someone has advice for me.

Thank you,
-David

Attachments

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
I prefer zip ties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I prefer zip ties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Yeah zip ties can do a good job and I've used'em in so many applications. But in this case, can't figure out where to wrap the darn zip tie. It has to be internal and there's no good way to wrap it around the back. I could drill a small hole into the plastic fairing where the darn metal connectors are suposed to attach, but it's a very small area and run the risk of breaking the hole making it useless. Why the heck did Triumph designed them like this :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey I found a way to zip tie it around the back of the light and it's really solid. But, new problem, zip tie was going slightly over the back seat lock. My dumb ass forced the seat down into place and now I can't get the seat out. Crap! Anyway, I'll find a way to break that zip tie and wrap it differently. Seems to be working though! Cheers...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For anyone reading, this is the stupidity of the design, there are two semi circle plastic tabs where the darn connectors are supposed to push up against and lock in place. No matter how you orient them, nothing works and it's never tight. Who came up with this crap? What were you smoking?

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts