Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

* I posted this in the 11+ section as well. Not sure if I'm allowed to post in 2 spots but I thought it might be helpful in this section*

First time posting and I thought I would share my "suspension build" on my 2012 Speed Triple (non R). As a very experience track and street rider I tend to be very particular with my suspension set up. I'm also a big guy at 6'3 240lbs, so the stock suspension on all bikes are useless to me and my riding style. I took on this project with the shop that helped me with my race bikes over the years. I can honestly say that my Speedy now feels as good or better than my late CBR 600RR racebike. It handles it's track day duty without any fuss and it is comfortable and responsive on the street. The rear was a bit of a bugger to peice together as companies don't specifically make upgraded springs for the stock rear assembly. The front was a lot easier as RACETECH had all of the parts available. I have included the parts we swapped out below and can include part #'s if anyone is interested.

Hands down the best thing you can do for your Speed is upgrade the suspension. Completely changes the bike for the better!

Rear:

Hyper Coils rear shock spring
Racetech Gold Valve kit
Shock spring adaptor plate A
Shock Spring adapter plate B
14mm bullet seal
Shock shaft seal set
Shock shaft bushing set
Rear shock oil
Recharge Nitrogen in the rear shock

Front forks:

Racetech 1.0kg front fork springs
Racetech Gold Valve kit
All balls fork seals
10w fork oil

Attachments

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
I'm surprised you didn't just replace the shock with something more customizable.

As for the forks a lot of folks have swapped the forks for something with more support, but I'm with you that it's not the best solution. For the same money Racetech can outfit the factory forks exactly for you and your riding style. A better solution that swapping some GSXR forks just to need them worked over anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm surprised you didn't just replace the shock with something more customizable.

As for the forks a lot of folks have swapped the forks for something with more support, but I'm with you that it's not the best solution. For the same money Racetech can outfit the factory forks exactly for you and your riding style. A better solution that swapping some GSXR forks just to need them worked over anyway.
I looked into both options at the time. I upgraded my entire suspention for the cost of an Ohlins rear shock that I would have to respring and possibly revalve anyways. I agree that the Ohlins would be more customizable but not necessary. I don't need ride hight adjustment as this bike is tall and perfect as is for me. The way I look at the adjustments is this. It may not make sense to some but I'll try. Ohlins adjustments allow you to dial things in more precisely as in 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 etc. Where the modified stock suspending is limited to settings 1,3,5,7,9. For the purpose of this bike and let's be honest, 99% of riders out there- the adjustments the modded stocker allows is more than enough to dial it in.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
I'm not going to argue with that, other than I wouldn't have gone Öhlins. There's less expensive solutions. I look a Öhlins as somewhat of the Häagen-Dazs if Motorcycle suspension: it's not as good as its reputation. (Not that it's bad, but overrated.)(I think I'd go with Penske)

But again, we're on the same page. I think most people look at adjustable suspension as having more utility than it probably does. Once it's dialed in you likely will never touch it again. So perhaps getting it sorted from Racetech or someone from the get-go and not worrying about adjustments is a better plan.

On the other hand, my base-model Speed Triple doesn't even have adjustable forks (and the shock only has pre-load) and it still works. I'm a big fan of dancing with the girl you brought to the dance. Make the most of what you've got rather than always wish for something more/better.

My first Triumph was a 64 TT Special, which is outclassed in every quantifiable way by my Street Triple. And yet it was a blast to ride even with wooden tires, highly suspect 30 year old shocks, and forks that (let's be honest here) would be inadequate on a mountain bike.

In some ways I wish I still had it, but in other's I'm glad it's gone. It was a maintenance nightmare that left me stranded more than once.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very cool bike for your first Triumph :)

I always ran Elka rear shocks on my race bikes so I'm very familiar with the other more affordable name brands . I 100% agree with you with Ohlins. A very good comparison to Häagen-Dazs Haha. Most people just want the "bling factor" of Ohlins or other brands rather than getting creative and modding for function.

Luckily the newer Speed's have all of the adjustments I need to dial it in. Once you have everything sorted and sitting exactly how you want it you are very correct in saying you'll really never touch it again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The first? Complete 2012 Speed Triple stock suspension "build"

Luckily the newer Speed's have all of the adjustments I need to dial it in. Once you have everything sorted and sitting exactly how you want it you are very correct in saying you'll really never touch it again.
I have different suspension settings for street and track. Hell even different tracks have different settings.

Basically I'm always touching it. The bike too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha aren't we all !

I did the same thing with my track bikes. As for my Speed that mostly see's the street and the occasional track day it's pretty much going to stay the same unless I get some crazy feed back at the track or something.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nice looking bike there mate. Just out of interest what makes of rear shock would people recommend over the stock other than Ohlins? I have just had the shock from my 08 serviced but he found the adjuster nuts were seized solid so cannot adjust preload now.

It's been like that 8 years since owning the bike but looking into getting a setup so hoping it's ok. Apologies for the thread hijack.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Nice looking bike there mate. Just out of interest what makes of rear shock would people recommend over the stock other than Ohlins? I have just had the shock from my 08 serviced but he found the adjuster nuts were seized solid so cannot adjust preload now.

It's been like that 8 years since owning the bike but looking into getting a setup so hoping it's ok. Apologies for the thread hijack.
Wilbers

Nitron

YSS

Maxton

HyperPro

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Or you can do what I did and build a stock shock. Just buy a stock shock for cheap and have it rebuilt with upgraded valving, new seals , new oil, new nitrogen, and a new spring if needed (depending on your body weight) .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts