Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
I'm surprised you didn't just replace the shock with something more customizable.

As for the forks a lot of folks have swapped the forks for something with more support, but I'm with you that it's not the best solution. For the same money Racetech can outfit the factory forks exactly for you and your riding style. A better solution that swapping some GSXR forks just to need them worked over anyway.

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
I'm not going to argue with that, other than I wouldn't have gone Öhlins. There's less expensive solutions. I look a Öhlins as somewhat of the Häagen-Dazs if Motorcycle suspension: it's not as good as its reputation. (Not that it's bad, but overrated.)(I think I'd go with Penske)

But again, we're on the same page. I think most people look at adjustable suspension as having more utility than it probably does. Once it's dialed in you likely will never touch it again. So perhaps getting it sorted from Racetech or someone from the get-go and not worrying about adjustments is a better plan.

On the other hand, my base-model Speed Triple doesn't even have adjustable forks (and the shock only has pre-load) and it still works. I'm a big fan of dancing with the girl you brought to the dance. Make the most of what you've got rather than always wish for something more/better.

My first Triumph was a 64 TT Special, which is outclassed in every quantifiable way by my Street Triple. And yet it was a blast to ride even with wooden tires, highly suspect 30 year old shocks, and forks that (let's be honest here) would be inadequate on a mountain bike.

In some ways I wish I still had it, but in other's I'm glad it's gone. It was a maintenance nightmare that left me stranded more than once.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts