Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was taking the cowls off my radiator today to put on some new signals, and the top bolt on the left side was TIGHT. I think to myself, no fuckin way, they fucking cross threaded the bolt, and forced it ALL THE WAY IN. A brand new fucking radiator. When I call and ream somebody tuesday, they will probably say I did it when I was working on it because I am not a "trained professional". I am not gonna eat a $500 radiator because some jackass "mechanic"(read parts replacer, there is a difference) fucked it up and didn't say anything. I am so fucking ready to bust some heads, I am PISSED!!!!

:finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger:

The only saving grace for my day is all my new parts. :wrench:
4 new turn signals, acumen gear indicator, new itty bitty led tag light, fabbed a new tag mount I haven't seen anyone do yet, gixxer passenger pegs, Zard, SAI removal/plug, and a scottoiler. I might be forgetting something

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Take some pictures before you do anything.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Good Luck,

That's not going to be a pretty call. You might be better off taking it to a dealer first. Get the dealer on your side and they fight with Triumph for you.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
If you have not already removed the bolt, take it to the dealer, if you have removed it, they will likely say you caused and damage.

If the bolt can be removed without cracking the radiator, the threads may be able to be restored with a tap, or by drilling it out and inserting with Helicoils or the like.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
+2

Well, this "trained professional" mechanic agrees with Dev. That is your best bet....... :-\

·
Registered
234 Posts
this happend to me .noticed steam every time it warmed up . went to take cowl off and the bolt was real hard so gave it some force and pop the thing came straight out of rad leaving a hole real weak spot..had a plate welded over hole lucky there is a fixing point just alongside to carry cowl.put a ace cafe badge over it

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Devious2xs said:
If you have not already removed the bolt, take it to the dealer, if you have removed it, they will likely say you caused and damage.

If the bolt can be removed without cracking the radiator, the threads may be able to be restored with a tap, or by drilling it out and inserting with Helicoils or the like.

The bolt is out and halfway back in now, just ran it in and snugged it a LITTLE. I don't have any leaks, but we'll see. I am gonna see if the dealer will try to at least clean up the threads or heli coil them. I am completely capable, but if it leaks afterward, its their fault, not mine. I have spent a LOT of money with them over the last two years, and they are pretty good guys for the most part. Firm, but polite is the key...

G

·
Hey stuck! I am a GM at Fastenal in liberty mo. Come over sometime this week and I will give you a recoil (Helicoil different brand) Kit to fix it. and any bolts you need. 816-808-7272. Sean

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A GM at Fastenal? Sweet. I need BOLTS!!! Seriously I am quite fond of Fastenal here in Lawrence. I will definitely come pay you a visit sometime. :drink:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, my dealer ain't so bad after all. I called and talked to the guy who usually takes care of me, he said just call an hour before I ride over there and they will fix it, sans charge. He said they will try to clean up the threads with a tap first, then heli-coil if that doesn't work. If they make my radiator leak, they will replace it. My only concern now is how long I might have to wait for a radiator. Happy Happy, Joy Joy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts