Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there ever a situation that brake pads can be too tight? I just changed my pads to EBC HH pads and it feels like my bike will stoppie at the slightest pull on the lever plus my actual brakes themselves are hot as hell after a short ride. I never touched my brakes before this so it might be normal.

G

·
They probably just need time to bed in, as long as nothing is binding. If you can rotate the wheel without resistance its fine.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
You need to bed in the brakes. I usually rub the surface of the pads on concrete, before installing them, to give a bit more room and start the bedding.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
All pads bed-in differently.

What I do is start out out full stops from about 30 mph. The trick is once you start you continually add pressure on the lever until you stop, don't release and add pressure again (pump the brakes). Do this 5-10 from 30 mph then increase your speed to 45mph and do another 5 stops. The pad will have a good start on them, just practice smooth consistantly increasing pressure on stops for the first 100 miles or so, try not to pump the brakes until they are bed-in.

You will notice your rotors will have different wear patterns, this is normal. The new pads are wearing down the rotor and adding in material. A good idea is to rub your rotors down with a green scotch-brite pad before you put on new pads. What you are doing during bed-in is that you are adding brake pad material on the rotors.

It is also a good idea to scrub around the base of the caliper piston BEFORE you put in new pads. You will have to push the piston back into it's bore and there will be alot of dirt on the exposed part of the piston. If you don't clean it up good before pressing it back in, that dirt may make it past the seals and into the bore...and then into your braking system.

It sounds like you are hearing normal bedding-in noises. If it keeps up past 100 miles, I would start to look at the calipers themselves.

·
Registered
23,333 Posts
Sorta related,i just put new EBC discs on the front of my DR-Z(Doctor Z i like to call it)and holy fn hell batman,what a difference. :popcorn:

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
how about lines?? kevlar or SS??

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bucket said:
Sorta related,i just put new EBC discs on the front of my DR-Z(Doctor Z i like to call it)and holy fn hell batman,what a difference. :popcorn:
Yeah I'm definately impressed, these were worth every penny

·
Registered
618 Posts
Just got my bike back from the dealer...put the crutches down and went for a short trip. Everything seems good, except the front brake. Initially, i thought i just forgot how heavy the bike was to push around--broken leg not helping. But then i put her in the stands and was checking the tire rotation to see if maybe that was creating some drag. Sure enough, the front tire doesn't really want to move---it will, but it won't spin as freely as the rear. Im wondering if them having to replace the handle bars had something to do with it since that also entails removing all of the controls?

Damn...it was good to be back on the girl, though....even if only for 5min.

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
So you mean the brakes are dragging?

glad you are healing up dude, and back on the bike!

·
Registered
618 Posts
So you mean the brakes are dragging?

glad you are healing up dude, and back on the bike!
Thanks, Joe...and yea, i guess that's what i mean. The brakes are dragging...didn't do it before the accident, either. I reckon its been sitting for a while, also...not sure if that might have something to do with it?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Dragging brakes.....mmmmmmmm.........either your caliper/s got distorted or else you've got corrosion in the calipers/pistons.
Dismantle the brake calipers clean em up and check for distortion.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yea...you're probably right. Im just confused as to why its just happening now and wasn't an issue 2 months ago when i last rode it---and why the dealer (who had the bike for two months) didn't notice anything.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Also, try following the sequence in this vid to properly align the calipers to discs:

[video=youtube;1HYnQ5X0MIw]http://youtu.be/1HYnQ5X0MIw[/video]

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
There is a bleed hole in the master cylinder that can get plugged. It's there to let fluid flow back to the reservoir when the lever is released. If this gets plugged the brakes can actually lock up as they get hot and the fluid expands.

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
Maybe Speedy has PTSD, and is a little nervous to get back to it..

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Did the dealer happen to mix some DOT 3 in with the DOT 4? :popcorn:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts