Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2006 Speedy with almost 50k miles on it, is getting long in the tooth and while there were no mechanical problems lately (I know, I jinxed it now), I no longer feel comfortable taking it out for much further than a day's ride. I'm thinking about an addition. Wanna keep the Speedy for the day rides and get something for the long distance, multiday outings. Something that is comfortable, and not too heavy (I'm slight framed and a gentle soul as you all know). Boring is OK (yeah, I know, I'm getting old). So far two bikes keep on showing up in my searches which seem to match the requirements. A Honda NC750 DCT and a Kavasaki Versys 650 LT. Any input regarding these two choices, suggestions for something else and general cussing would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Could go with manual transmission option on that NC750. Also, Triumph Tiger 660 popped on the radar screen. Range, weight and height on the Triumph seems to fit the requirements.
Hey Michael,

Firstly, [email protected]%k DCT motorcycles and Honda.
Versys is an old tech motor.
Triumph Tigers...
I have a lot of time for the 1050 Tiger Sports.
With that said, after riding a workmate's Tiger 800 (15 model), I have a lot of respect for them. I was quite impressed with the mid range power and torque along with how nimble it was. I rode it back to back with my bike, which is about 20kg (44lb) lighter, and makes 139hp at the wheel compared to the Tiger 800's 95 at the crank. With that in mind, I expected to be rather underwhelmed. I couldn't be more wrong. A knife through butter slick transmission that had me thinking it was a Suzuki, followed by strong mid range grunt and acceleration, and nimbleness that handled tight winding roads just as easily as Speedy (Note the Tiger was wearing Dual Sport tires and a 21in front wheel), and with much more low down torque than expected, all with a plush seat and comfort almost of a lounge chair. I got off that bike with my world shattered and my mind in a mess. It had me questioning nearly all things I hold holy.
That night I started looking up used prices on Tiger 800s... I got back on Speedy and my transmission felt like an 1950s tractor... my seat hurt my arse, the shock jarred my spine.
I still lust after the newer Tigers... Never getting rid of Speedy although she will be sidelined for some much needed TLC once she ticks over 125,000 miles (200,000km), so I am currently looking and considering replacements for use as a daily.

In Aus, Triumph only import the restricted power Novice/Learner Tiger 660 model. That said, another workmate just purchased a Tiger 660 a week ago and loves it. The full power model was out of his price range, he had his heart set on a Chinese CF MOTO MT800 powered by the KTM twin - until he saw it in the flesh and was intimidated by it. At my suggestion, he looked at and had a test ride of the 660, and was quite shocked and impressed. He has only been riding for just over 18 months. So the restricted power is not an issue for him. He doesn't have the desire to hit 130mph on his commute as I may or may not... it has almost the same max torque as the unrestricted model, and he can get it electronically derestricted later on if he wants. The build quality on the New Tigers is impressive.
Unrestricted Tiger 660 would be an excellent bang for buck option, especially with sticky tires, particularly for your build. Not a lot of options for aftermarket exhausts though. Zard are more expensive than Biden’s planned target for fuel prices, whilst Yoshimura are more reasonably priced.
The Trident is the same motor, but not as luggage friendly as the Tiger. Trident styling is a bit polarising.
Good to see you on here again. 🥃

1 - 5 of 5 Posts