Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 856 Posts

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NOTE: After the same questions being asked again, and again and again, here is a quick FAQ to deal with it.

FAQ 1 - This tune is only for PRE 2011 models. If you have a non round headlight model, none of the TOD versions will work for you.
If you have a 2011 model or later, and it has a low mount exhaust (particularly an M4 or CW) then the best place I can suggest is here:
http://www.thespeedtriple.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24325

If your 2011 or newer model, has aftermarket high mounts, I would suggest contacting Antisocial via PM and see if he can help you. He might accept hookers and blow as gratuities...

FAQ 2 - If you have Pre 2011 (round headlight) model with a low mount exhaust, then the TOD could be a good match for your bike. If your bike has aftermarket high mount or stock exhaust pipes, then THIS (The TOD) is NOT suitable for your bike. It won't be beneficial in any way, and the fueling and ignition are notably different to those for the stock and high mount configurations, that it could even harm your bike, so don't bother.

So in summation, this ONLY for round headlight models (pre 2011) with low mount exhausts. If your bike doesn't fit those categories, it is NOT for you.

Tune of Death - Review

Firstly, a big thanks and thumbs up to Joe for releasing this to us, and an equally big cheers, props and RESPECT to Wayne "POWER" Tripp for his skill and expertise at developing this tune/map.

Abstract:
F U C K ! ! ! F U C K ME DRUNK!!!!! This tune is amazing. The first thing noticed is the the crispness of the throttle response whilst blipping the throttle in neutral. On the initial ride, was smooth. VERY Mother****ingdamned SMOOOOOOTH. It didn't seem overly powerful, but wasn't slow. It is an absolute deception. It is very powerful and smooth, the power delivery is so flat and smooth it you DON'T feel any surges of power -with my previous map you felt a surge of power (almost like hitting powerband on a 2 stroke). So whilst you don't feel the same arms being ripped out of shoulder sockets acceleration, don't be fooled, because she WILL propel you at corners faster than the bike did previously... Tune of Death - aptly named, it will rapidly take you to your death if you don't respect it...

Main Review:
Since I got a low mount pipe on my Speedy, I have tried various tunes. Initially the factory ARROW map, followed by the factory ARROW map with PC3 map trims for the same pipe applied. Tired of running around like that for over a year, last year I stumped up the ca$h and had a custom dyno map made specifically for my bike. This made a HUGE improvement, and I was quite happy with that, and have been making small tweaks here and there to fine tune it. Then Joe made TOD (Tune of Death) available to us, so I decided to give it a try to compare. My initial impressions are covered in the above abstract. Continuing on from there, I initially weaseled my way out of the house for a half hour to do a couple of test runs. These confirmed that it is the smoothest tune I've come across, and it IS deceptively fast. It seems to just keep on pulling and pulling. It also makes clutching up wheelies more controllable and predictable.
The best way to describe the smoothness of the motor with this tune is to compare it with my old Suzuki RF900R - by far and away the smoothest motor I've ever ridden, and the crispest throttle response I had experienced despite its carbs. Turbine smooth. Well, NOW, I have that same Turbine smooth power delivery and crisp throttle response on Speedy, plus a S H I T L O A D more torque. This short test run, was not however indicative of my normal riding so, I had to wait till I rode to work test in my real world riding.

So yesterday I rode to work, as I was in a hurry I just stuck to the freeway for the whole trip. The tune works VERY well, at freeway speeds, and at a constant throttle position. The only thing is you will need to keep an eye on speed, because the smoothness of the power means that you can and drift 15-30km/h (10-20mph) over the speed you were trying to hold, without really noticing it because the motor pitch doesn't change much at all. Previously the change in motor pitch was a give away that your speed was drifting up. On my way home, I was in no hurry so I decided to take the scenic route on the old highway for part of the trip. It was unbelieveable. You wound the power on, accelerated, didn't think much, till glancing down at the speedo to see it noteably higher than normal for those corners. It took about 10 corners to get it under control, and come to grips that I was hitting those corners much faster than normal without any extra effort. Scary stuff, because it meant changing braking points, cornering lines - everything.
The best way to describe the change is like, after riding my 15+ yr old 80s Kawasaki Ninja600R for 5 years, I upgraded to a 4yr old 955cc Triumph Daytona, everything was much faster, but with so much less effort - BUT in this case it's the same bike with just an ECU map change. Mind blowing stuff.

My custom dyno map IS good (it was value for money for what is available to me). However it was created on a DJ Dyno, and more to the point it was Tuned to an AFR (which gives an improvement and gets you to the ballpark - but as is now evidenced, does not reach it's full potential) as opposed to Power Tripp's technique of Tuning to Best Power/Torque.
At the end of the day, I am pleased with the custom map that was created for my bike as I believe the mechanic who created it is the best tuner in my local area, and DOES work with Tuneboy/TuneEdit and I would recommend him to others , the fact is Power Tripp seriously knows his stuff and is one very talented tuner. Suffice to say, them Good Ol' Boys definitely know their way around motors and how to tune them!
I am still in the process of testing it and have yet to see how it's fuel economy goes, but I am quite pleased so far and will continue testing as I ride to work for the rest of the week.

Anyone else who has downloaded TOD, and is using it, by all means put down your thoughts and let the rest of us know your experience with it. I know Dispo Hero was running it and swore by it, perhaps he can shed more light on his experience with it's performance.

Anyone who has read this so far, and doesn't know what it's about should probably use the SEARCH function with the search term "Tune of Death" (including the inverted commas/ quotation marks)

or

Look Here:
http://www.thespeedtriple.com/forum/tuning/20481-ftp-tunes.html

Subject Bike:
06' 1050 S3
Low Mount Micron Pipe
DNA Air Filter
Airbox Mod
Factory Pro Velocity Stacks

Cheers. Thanks again to Joe.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
there is a good power tripp tune for high mounts in there. match it up with your vin.

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
TOD works excellent with all manufacturer of highmounts. Just ensure that you are using the factory header..

and no mid-pipe:eboy:

Glad you liked it. And now you get what I meant about the speed being deceptive.:drink:

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Sparti,

the link was supposed to bring up the search results page, stupid thing didn't work.

Re your question, as I recall, the Zard is a low mount, so it will be suitable. As I understand it, Joe's bike has similar mods to mine, so the closer your setup is to that, the better the performance you'll reap. That said, I believe there are others who don't have those mods and are running TOD with pleasing results.

My custom map dynoed at 125hp (Dynojet) and and my bike IS faster with TOD, so there has to be some extra horses liberated, not to mention increased torque.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Thanks Santa. What about the SAI? Is this tune for SAI bikes. Being you have an Aussie bike you don't have SAI but from what I've read on other threads about the TOD it's for bikes with SAI.

Has the timing of this tune been advanced?

BTW other than the Zard low mount and I'm running a BMC filter.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I'm running the TOD and it is as Santa say's...AWESOME!

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
And ofcourse here is a video of it being born..

[video=youtube;I81XOZ-RkV0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I81XOZ-RkV0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
As I said before, this map, whilst showing a significant increase in Joe's bike, might NOT be ideal in others.

Before you download the map find your local friendly dyno operator, (even a H*rl*y one would do). Do a few pulls with your original map to establish a baseline for power and torque, then load the TOD map and do a few more pulls and compare with your original figures. You might be surprised and not in a pleasant way. If power/torque is less anywhere compared to the stock map, this could be due to excessive ignition advance and will damage your engine.

I had a someone's good map in my bike, whilst MPG was down a bit, response was smooth as silk, however on a dyno this map turned lower figures than the stock map.

BTW butt dynos do not work!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Is this tune for non SAI bikes? Anyone, Bueller, Anyone...

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
If you open up the map in TuneEcu you should see that the SAI box is ticked and the o2 sensor box is unticked.
So I would assume that particular tune is for a SAI bike with no o2 sensor.

I wouldn't know if you untick and tick whether it would make the tune suitable for your bike.

Assuming you don't have SAI hardware on the bike if you load the map as is then you should get a (SAI) CEL.
Clear the CEL untick the SAI checkbox and tick the o2 sensor box (if you have the o2 sensor installed) and reload the map. If the CEL does not come on then the tick box works, something which (old) Tuneboy couldn't do.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With regards to the Dyno Graphs/Performance questions, and adding to Joe's response, because the Dyno which his bike was tuned on was NOT a Dynojet Dyno, the 111hp, his bike finished with is closer to 129.9hp if measured on a Dyno Jet dyno (111hp x 1.15) because DJ Dynos tend to read 15% higher due to their inherent corrections.
Refer to : True Rear Wheel Horsepower for further details.
Incidently my bike (Stock but Gutted Pipes, and a DNA Filter) initially made 114hp (DJ) = aprox 100hp on a dyno like the one Joe/Wayne used, and after being cutom mapped/tuned (With Micron Low Mount Pipe) made 125hp (DJ)= 108hp non DJ Dyno. With the performance increases I'm experiencing (I don't count butt dyno - particularly with TOD, cos if I went by feel, I would say it was making less power), and I'm measuring that by the higher speeds I'm reaching my braking points at and new top speeds for certain stretches of quiet road... I would be VERY surprised if it was not making more power and more torque - and more torque lower down.

Compare the shape of the power and torque curves of my Dyno Runs (Before and After) 1st, and then Joes TOD ones 2nd:
(Due to the differences in dyno hp readings from the DJ Correction factors on the DJ Dyno used for my bike, and the lack of with non DJ Dyno used for Joe's, don't bother focusing on the numbers, just compare the shape and smoothness of the relevant curves.)

Not only does TOD look smoother - it FEELS MUCH, MUCH Smoother.

Yes, I know I keep repeating this, but it IS!

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
And the "before" was a tune that was made by Wayne initially in about 95 degree heat, while it was raining. Not ideal conditions since his dyno was originally mounted in an enclosed trailer outside. After a thorough shake down, it was refined to the TOD, and was written at about 85 degrees at night with much less humidity. Once(if) Wayne Mc releases the 3x, I plan on doing an E85 conversion and getting even more ponies/tq. Only reason I'm holding off is because I want the ability to switch to an E10 tune if E85 isn't available at the station. The ECU does have the ability to store two tunes as-is(limp mode), the issue is triggering it on demand.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To continue on with the reivew...

Yesterday, I rode to work, this time with a little extra time to fang up the old highway. With traffic non-existent, the sun out and weather hot, visibility great, and suicidal wildlife keeping to themselves in the bushland, decked out in leathers, I made rapid progress, and continued to surprise and amaze myself at the change and improvement at the performance.
The smoother power delivery allowed quick acceleration to corner tip in points (noteably revised to do arriving at said corners between 10-15km/h (6-10mph), and then allowed both earlier and faster application of throttle/power upon exiting the corners with smoothness that only improved confidence. In similar conditions about a month ago, and whilst trying to push that hard, I had a couple of wake up calls as the rear tyre began to slide, enough to notice but not enough to cause grief. Yesterday, pushing the same pace, and then harder, there were no such moments, in fact it never once felt like the rear was close to making any un-commanded movements. What I did find was the front tyre lost about 4-5mm of it's chicken strips, because I was loading up the front end a lot more, due to the higher cornering speeds - something to watch out for, as it would spoil one's day to push the front too hard, due to the new found speed and confidence and go past the front tyre's limits resulting in some unplanned tarmace body surfing complete with use of rockwall and tree momentum stopping facilities... Again, Be warned the speed is deceptively fast.

From a practical perspective, the fuel economy seems quite good when not being used in anger. At freeway cruising pace (115km/h - 120km/h - approx 71-74mph) the live/instantaneous fuel consumption was reading between 4.9L/100km to 5.5L/100km (48mpg-41mpg) - note the average fuel consumption got shot to buggery with my knee dragging diversion up the old highway, with bursts up to 170 and 203km/h (105 & 125mph) and everything in between, any chances of a fuel economy record were blown out of the water. On the upside a hell of a lot of fun was had... I shall attempt to endeavour to commute sensibly for the rest of the week and and report back on fuel economy with sensible use and commuting.

Cheers.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Ive got a tune, low m4 exhaust, sai, bmc airfilter, o2. My dyno run looks a helluvalot like joe's... Smooth.

Just lemme know if you need it.

1 - 20 of 856 Posts