Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
801 - 820 of 856 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does anyone have issues with the TOD seemingly running too lean up top?
Often when i'm flogging the bike the in higher RPMs (anywhere above 5k) it will skip and stutter before finding itself when you roll off the throttle slightly.
Particularly noticeable when the pavement is sloped down hill and you roll off the throttle ever to slightly to maintain speed. It does that thing where it sounds like the motor is gargling socks, then it usually smooths out, though sometimes it doesn't until you move the throttle again.

My guess here is that the spark is having trouble igniting the A/F mixture when it leans out and is causing a slight misfire/hesitation in power production.
Driveability under these circumstances seems to improve when you add points to the F trim table or lower the value of the A/F cells, but doing so globally feels like threading a needle with a shotgun.

Is it possible that the tune is actually good and i'm experiencing weak spark? Plugs/wells/coils have been checked, cleaned, replaced, double checked, etc..... I've considering purchasing a set of Energy Coil aftermarket coils to see if this fixes the issue, but they are expensive!

Or could it be the poor quality of 91 octane california gas?

For what it's worth, the bike runs great if you're getting groceries, commuting to work, or picking up the kids. It's only when you're going for blood in the twisties in lower gears at higher RPM that this becomes an issue.

Any suggestions appreciated!

I love the way the TOD starts, idles, and runs in general, but this gurgling thing makes it hard to stay smooth and focused when riding fast.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Does anyone have issues with the TOD seemingly running too lean up top?
Often when i'm flogging the bike the in higher RPMs (anywhere above 5k) it will skip and stutter before finding itself when you roll off the throttle slightly.
Particularly noticeable when the pavement is sloped down hill and you roll off the throttle ever to slightly to maintain speed. It does that thing where it sounds like the motor is gargling socks, then it usually smooths out, though sometimes it doesn't until you move the throttle again.
I’ve never experienced anything like that on the TOD in 15,000 miles. If anything I’d guess it’s got my ‘06 a bit on the rich side rather than the lean side.

Your bike may well have spark and valve and compression that’s different from mine that would effect how the tune matches your bike differently, but “lean” is not how I’d describe my experience with it.

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
what year?

how many miles?

when were the valves adjusted?

when was the last time you did an induction service?

when was the last time you had the TB's off?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Joe,
It's a 2005 with about 48k miles on it. The valves were checked and in spec 6k miles ago. I cleaned and oiled my K&N filter over the summer- definitely less than 10k miles ago. I had the throttle bodies off around the same time to install a manual idle screw and disengage the the stepper motor. I'm positive they are seated back on properly.

Something that's crossed my mind is that perhaps my bike is running in some kind of limp mode because the stepper movement isn't changing the TPS? There aren't any codes or check engines lights

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
so the stepper is controlling your trim or no?

This is what I suggest:

-get rid of the K&N. Just use a stock paper filter with the flash guard removed.
-do an induction service with seafoam or even better, Mercury PowerTune.
-do the 12min tune up to reset the adaptives.

What it sounds like to me is you might have fuel ping via a hot spot from carbon coking. If you are still on the original fuel pump, she might be getting tired.
I would be surprised if its an ignition issue as you'd see that under load past 5-6k
When you serviced your K&N, did you notice any oil residue in the airbox?

·
Registered
55 Posts
The stepper motor is plugged in, but not controlling anything.

I'll order a paper air filter asap.
Can you elaborate on induction service? Is that where you suck a few ounces of seafoam into the TB's one MAP hose at a time with the engine running?
Does the 12min tune still work with no O2 sensor?

I am indeed on the original fuel pump- the fuel filter has been changed recently.
I never have any troubles when the engine is under significant load- this symptom is only noticeable under low load conditions.

There is often a bit of oil in my airbox. I figure it's coming up from the crankcase breather on some of those tall extended whoolies.

Thanks for weighing in Joe!

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
Can you elaborate on induction service? Is that where you suck a few ounces of seafoam into the TB's one MAP hose at a time with the engine running?
Not a few ounces, but the whole can of seafoam, and you just draw it in through the single line after they come together. If you use the Mercury PowerTune instead, you just pull the top of the airbox on a warm engine, open the throttle blades, and spray it down each TB. It foams up like shaving cream then melts down to an oily film. Just crank the engine over, and spray, crank, spray a few times to get it down to the rings. I like the Mercury PowerTune better, but the Seafoam is easier.

Does the 12min tune still work with no O2 sensor?
Yes. Start bike without touching throttle, let idle until the fan kicks on, then let idle 12min or longer.

There is often a bit of oil in my airbox. I figure it's coming up from the crankcase breather on some of those tall extended whoolies.
It's coming from the crankcase breather, but more likely it's from excess pressure due to the rings being coked up, and compression escaping into the crank case. I suggest doing a compression test and seeing the effects of the Seafoam/PowerTune in black and white. Also If you want your bearings to last, keep your woolies limited to little corner-exit power woolies..

Thanks for weighing in Joe!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, about to upload the tune of death to my 2010 speed.
all stock except for custom made arrow lowboy, no cat. have 45,000 kms on board.
Ive owned the bike for 5,000km, have cleaned the throttle bodies and removed the rubber intake tubes from the airbox.
still has SAI intact.
are there any concerns with the tune? does it run lean? should I be running a 98 octane fuel minimum?
I'm concerned this tune may be a bit harsh on my higher milage speedy.
I ride pretty tame, but I am missing the torque now that I have modded the exhaust.
I live in sydney Australia.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the knowledge Joe.
I have one more question about this induction service:
Am I correct in thinking that the seafoam method will be done with the engine running and the throttle open a few degrees to keep the bike from stalling?

Similarly, am i correct in thinking that the mercury powertune method you describe above will be done with the engine off the entire time?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rattle

I've been driving TOD for a while now. I have started commuting now. and finds that around 2500RPM-3500RPM the engine goes a little rattle with minimum throttle.(maybe it suppose to?) but if You rev. it up for I While it runs clean again at the same Rev. area. I have checked the balance of the throttles and the value at idle is around 600-590-600, I have done the 12min tune up to reset the adaptives any suggestions to improve this rev. range?

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
I've been driving TOD for a while now. I have started commuting now. and finds that around 2500RPM-3500RPM the engine goes a little rattle with minimum throttle.(maybe it suppose to?) but if You rev. it up for I While it runs clean again at the same Rev. area. I have checked the balance of the throttles and the value at idle is around 600-590-600, I have done the 12min tune up to reset the adaptives any suggestions to improve this rev. range?
Nothing will eliminate it completely, especially with a lowboy exhaust. 45t out back helps

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
Hey guys, about to upload the tune of death to my 2010 speed.
all stock except for custom made arrow lowboy, no cat. have 45,000 kms on board.
Ive owned the bike for 5,000km, have cleaned the throttle bodies and removed the rubber intake tubes from the airbox.
still has SAI intact.
are there any concerns with the tune? does it run lean? should I be running a 98 octane fuel minimum?
I'm concerned this tune may be a bit harsh on my higher milage speedy.
I ride pretty tame, but I am missing the torque now that I have modded the exhaust.
I live in sydney Australia.
As long as you sign the waiver and load the tune with the 180° offset enabled you should be good.
I’m curious, where were you able to buy the tune in Austria?

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
Thanks for the knowledge Joe.
I have one more question about this induction service:
Am I correct in thinking that the seafoam method will be done with the engine running and the throttle open a few degrees to keep the bike from stalling?

Similarly, am i correct in thinking that the mercury powertune method you describe above will be done with the engine off the entire time?
That is correct, both done on a fully warmed up engine. Let soak for an 45-60min, then take it out for a ride pushing through the revs. Be prepared for it to vape out the neighborhood the first few min, so be fully geared up and ready to roll before even starting it

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks again Joe.
Would pouring seafoam/powertune straight into the spark plugs holes of a hot engine and letting it soak for 45 minutes be any more effective as it’s more direct?

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
You can spray the powertune directly in through the spark plug holes, but you also want to spray it in past the throttle bodies to wash the back side of the intake valves. Another reason why the Seafoam is so easy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Joe, the induction service (with seafoam) made a night and day difference. Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. My bike feels just like the good old days again.

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
What is 45t out back?
45 tooth rear sprocket. This is opposed to the 42 tooth stock rear sprocket. Gives you more acceleration and low end grunt at the expense of top speed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
It also bumps the rpm range up a tad to keep you out of that dead spot

801 - 820 of 856 Posts