Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know if the drivers Tuneboy has will work with Vista? I can't seem to get it to work, but perhaps I'm doing something wrong. It's been known to happen before.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Aside from the fact that Vista is crap, Tuneboy is designed for Windows 98 and sometimes has trouble with even XP.

From the Tuneboy FAQ:

What Do I Do If The Software Crashes Under Win XP?

Simple, right mouse-click on the shortcut, select Properties, Compatibility, and select Win 98. This will fix the problem.
I have a feeling you're out of luck if you're stuck with Vista.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I got another laptop with xp, so will give that a try. :poop:

G

·
I can't seem to find any info on system requirements for tuneboy.
Does the cable plug into a USB port? And how long is the cable? I have a PC with XP which looks like it should work. I know these seem like dumb questions but I can't seem to answer them.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Tuneboy uses a specialized cable that plugs into any standard USB port.  It should work fine with any computer with a USB port that is capable of running Windows XP. 

On the other hand, Tuneboy works best with Windows 98.  I have used it without too many problems with Windows XP.  I've also used it with my Mac running Virtual PC and both Windows XP and Windows 98.  I do NOT recommend this.  While it does work, there are many potential issues with the upload/download speed.  I've managed to corrupt the ECU on one occasion that required me to use a PC running Tuneboy in order to fix the issue. 

Anyway...

You should be able to run Tuneboy with Windows XP without too many issues. The cable is about 3 +/- long.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
No problem.

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
are they planning on updating Tuneboy for XP and/vista??

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
I've been running it on XP with no problems and I think most people have had the same experience. Some have had trouble getting a good install but usually deleting it, starting over and FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS gets it working. So I would say it is XP compatible on most hardware. Running any software that needs I/O control in a virtual machine is asking for trouble. Since Vista is incompatible with almost everything, particularly CAD software and graphics card drivers, I would not touch it with a ten foot mouse. I expect if MS stays true to form, sometime after Vista SP2 most things will start to work properly.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
dr_gallup said:
  Running any software that needs I/O control in a virtual machine is asking for trouble.
The curious thing about running it on Virtual PC was not that it had problems, but the fact that it worked at all!

dr_gallup said:
Since Vista is incompatible with almost everything, particularly CAD software and graphics card drivers, I would not touch it with a ten foot mouse.  I expect if MS stays true to form, sometime after Vista SP2 most things will start to work properly.
Vista is what, 5 years behind schedule already?  And we have to wait for SP2 for compatibility and stability?  Thanks, but no.  I'm sure MS will just add another million lines of code to it's already bloated architecture. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a calculated strategy:  Ship computers running a crap OS (Vista) so people will throw it out and buy a copy of XP. 

1 - 10 of 10 Posts