Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Cool, did you uninstall tuneboy completely before adding the update? I noticed that i don't have an uninstall for just the tune-edit program, so was unsure which direction to go with that. I'll contact Wayne M if no one knows, but I'm guessing some of you have already been thru this step!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saved the file in place of the old TuneEdit, and made a new shortcut for the desktop on my laptop.

I have done this for each update up to now.

I also save the key(s) in a seperate location - just to be safe. But I have never had an issue with the key(s) not being transfered to the new versions of TuneEdit each time I have updated it.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
OK, just wanted to check since the documentation specifies that tuneboy should be uninstalled before updates. I figured this was just a matter of saving the new over the old, but thought I'd be sure. One nice touch is that the software is so easy to get, if I screw it up completely I can always download again and start over. I'll remember to back up the key though, good advice!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Milq,
Going from version 2.3 or 2.5 to 3.0 is a full update.

Going from version 3.2.0 to 3.2.3 is just a revision. Not a full update. So, I haven't deleted anything up to yet. Just installed the new dll files as they become available.

As far as I have noticed, the version history for 3.0 is as follows:

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That explains something I noticed about one of the versions of 3.2 I had, and why it was different from another version - I needed to look closer. [Attention to detail (or lack of it) will get you everytime!]

THANKS!

I edited above to show this.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Do the dll's go in the same directory as the TuneEdit.exe file? I see one other dll there and I can't find FTD2XX.dll or FTChipID.dll anywhere on my system. In other words, the dll's are new files, they don't replace existing files.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They replace the TuneEdit file. Each time I save a new update, I replace the TuneEdit file and make a new shortcut on my desktop.

There may be a better way, but this seems to work for me.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Devious2xs said:
They replace the TuneEdit file. Each time I save a new update, I replace the TuneEdit file and make a new shortcut on my desktop.

That didn't really answer the question as there are 3 files in the 3.2.3 update zip file. I copied all three to the same directory as the original TuneEdit.exe and everything seems to be working. I've got the new sprocket tooth/speedometer correction calculator. No need for a new shortcut.

This really is a great piece of software for a very reasonable price. When I worked at United Technologies developing one of the first electronically controlled diesel injection systems it took specially built "suitcase" computers (laptops didn't exist yet) costing about $40,000 to do essentially the same thing. Of course, once you had a tune you had to burn a new chip because the ECU used PROMs that were not erasable.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Devious2xs said:

The desktop shortcut has nothing to do with the file itself. It is jus a link to start a file called "tuneedit.exe" or whatever. Since the name and the location of the file do not change, the old shortcut works just fine.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HarriS - I am familiar with files and shortcuts. I replace the shortcut instead of renaming it - easier... probably not, but it is a habit. I like to have the shortcut name show the version so I can know when the new updates are available.

I have 4 different tuning software programs for different types of engines on my laptops that I use regularly - TuneBoy, MoTec, LS Edit, 882tuning. I also have several others that I no longer use, or new ones that I am looking into. I try to keep the programs organized and updated as best I can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts