Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, once I get my zard system on this weekend, I need something to do with my stock header... SO, I think I'm going to start slowly accumulating the parts I'll need to DIY my own turbo kit.

Anyone with turbo experience who can set me on the right path to sorting out a parts list would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
You will need a turbo, a turbo manifold, plenum chamber, oil lines, brain, lots and lots of hours, turbo maps, TuneBoy maps and a good working knowledge of the system, that should keep you busy for while.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
First, decide how much power you want and the engine will tolerate. This will give you an idea of pressure ratios.
Then sit down and figure how much airflow you need to get this power. This will give you a place to start looking for compressors.

Then you fab up a turbo flange to fit to the header, and do some cutting and welding. Make sure the turbo is located above the oil in the sump. And then bend up some tubing for the exhaust and silencers (if used). You MAY need to add a support bracket for the added weight and heat distortion - you may not.

Your will need oil lines to and from the turbo.

You will then need to fab up some tubing between the turbo and the intake - including a new airbox/plenum and seal this for the pressure that will be used.

Next you will need some way to enrich fueling under boost, and make sure the injectors and fuel pump will support the power level with correct pressure and flow. Wayne Macdonald has a Tuneboy Advanced just for this, but I don't know a lot about it other than a few e-mails.

Then you will need to fab up a bracket and filter for the turbo inlet.

Last you need to tune.

Then you get to ride the $hite out of it. ;D

Not all inclusive, but I hope it helps. I have been looking into this. ;)

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking something like TurboConnection makes would be what I'm shooting for. Good daily driver power (160ish rwhp) retaining driveability and reliability. If McDonald has a Tuneboy kit for this, I'll go with his for sure. My main parts I'm wondering about are turbo brand/model/size, plenum, etc. The oil lines, intake, fabbing the header, etc shouldn't be too hard for me. I'm more concerned about plumbing the turbo->airbox, BOV, and the electrical side of maintaining proper A/F without blowing things up.

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was chatting with someone about turbos back before we did the switchover, but I've since lost all my old PM's from the pre-update forum.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
It may have been Steve at RaceComp. He's done a few turbo kits for 955 bikes.

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome. I'll be PMing soon to get started. I'm planning to gradually start collecting parts, a small SMAW/GTAW/GMAW combo machine and other tools as I've got the money to put into it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
if you live near a junk yard i just held a stock kkk03 vw gti turbo to my open pipe and it spools quite nicely so that will save you a little green (expect to pay about 25-75 for a good used turbo) and good luck on the build

G

·
You are probably not planning on diggin into the engine, but how much power can the 955i produce before you have to worry about rods, ect....A friend of mine has a few turbo busa's and he has to put bigger head gaskets in to help lower the compression(as well as a ton of other things)....

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think Paul at Triumph Detroit did this with his S3 a few years back and kept spraying chunks of tire all over me. That thing would spin out like crazy!

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Holy thread resurrection. I gave up on this project a while ago. I just don't have the time, money, or knowledge just yet to play with turbos so I'm going the all motor route with a Daytona 955i engine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts