Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hmm just went to check my tyre pressures for going back to work tomorrow after the easter break. Noticed the front Pilot Power has hit the wear bars on the right hand side of the tyre.... Strange, the left is fine. Oh, well 10800km not bad, will change it on Sat..

Then I check the rear, the Conti Road Attack I put on to go to the island in March...hmm, some of the centre wear bars are showing.. 6600km out of this tyre. Not great for a sports touring, but I did work it REALLY hard on the 3000k ride the other weekend. And it looks like these require the pressure to be high 40-41 to stop them from heating up too much.

***** that means I need a set of tyres, at a cost of about $550-570 fitted... Oh well, I can try out the conti sport attack front to go with the road attack rear then...

I hope to get the 250km out of them before I can book it in for the new tyres next Sat.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
ruscook said:
...Noticed the front Pilot Power has hit the wear bars on the right hand side of the tyre.... Strange, the left is fine...
3 left turns = 1 right turn!!!

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
Russ, I wear my rear tyres (tires) out in the centre from lots of touring, a bit like yourself, so I am thinking of trying the Power 2CTs.....apparently they have a dual compound. Might help to get a bit more distance.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
legman said:
Russ, I wear my rear tyres (tires) out in the centre from lots of touring, a bit like yourself, so I am thinking of trying the Power 2CTs.....apparently they have a dual compound. Might help to get a bit more distance.
Thanks John, there's also a new Pilot Road 2CT coming... I'm a bit partial to the slightly harder tyres because of the commuting I do - 6 days a week. Then the for pleasure rides tend to be a bit of a blast :)

One thing I like about the conti's, is they turn in quicker. I'm just a little surprised that I can get 8500-9500km out of a Pilot Road Rear and only 6800km out of the Conti Road Attack, which is the comparable tyre to the Michelin Road... I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt because on Granya Gap, Falls Creek and Mt Hotham (all done in 1 day) it worked bloody hard and was only at 37psi. I'm running it at 40psi now to help stop it overheating but the damage was done :). I'll ring my tyre guy tomorrow and see what he can get for Sat and go from there.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
i saw a poster at bogart's bmw in b'ham while i was there detailing the 2ct's. from what the poster said, they are pilot power compound in the middle, with even stickier rubber on the outside. i had been contemplating getting one for the same reasons as you, but the poster made me rethink that idea. plus they were about 199 compared to 146 for the powers.

but don't take my word for it... i only stared at that poster for a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
legman said:
They DO have a dual compound, but the center "harder" compound is the same as their current compound, I'm 90% sure. They're saying the shoulders are even softer, for track days. I don't think you'll get any more mileage out of the 2CT Pilot Power if this is true.

I'm very happy so far with my Pilot Roads - no lack of grip in the twisties on a 50 degree day during the Cheap rally, and if they come out with a similar 2CT version of that, it might be just the ticket!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I think you can choose which compounds you want, IE, med center, soft sides, soft center super soft sides. But maybe that's on the Power Race. I think your quick wear was due to the pressure, I 've had my road at 38, and it wore pretty quick when I lowered it. I've got some Dunlop sport max 218's now, I only went for a short test ride, I hope to get out and scrub em in fully tomorrow. They do turn in a helluva lot quicker than the roads they replaced.
I didn't care for the roads, mostly because my riding has all been canyons and fun rides. I'll be going for some longer rides this summer. Time will tell which bike it'll be on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts