Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,791 Posts
Martin_R, I think one of the big reasons folks are asking these questions is the cost of the Triumph branded Racing 4T. Even a diy oil change sets you back nearly $70 when using their oil. That was the main reason I got into the discussion on various threads.
I went so far as to buy a bottle of it as well as a bottle of the Mobil 1 15W50 from a local store and pay $45 to have them both analyzed just to see how much difference there really is (the stuff from my local store is less than half the price). You can find the results of the analysis here: http://www.thespeedtriple.com/Forums/index.php?;tpstart=5
about the middle of the page.

I just have a hard time swallowing $53 a gallon for an oil that may or may not be worth that much. Myself, I doubt that I'll be paying that much for a second bottle of the stuff based on the analysis....but bikes are personal property and, as such, subject to personal opinion.

· Registered
2,791 Posts
BillT said:
The way I read their site, Mobil 1 15W-50 is pretty much identical to their 4T 15W-50 Racing oil.

Somewhere
on this site...there is a comparison of these two that I had performed by B****** labs. There are nearly identical, with the 4T retaining viscosity only slightly better. The lab guys said that BOTH were overkill for a land based engine and the 4T was very near aircraft grade. (Being independent they won't recommend ANY oil over another, but he told me that none of their employees spent the extra $ for synthetic in any vehicles, they feel it isn't worth it)

Dig around, it used to be on the home page of the site but I'm sure it has moved since. I have the info somewhere in my hard drive but will have to search for it...which I don't feel like doing right now, as I've already explained what it said.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.