Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
41 - 60 of 126 Posts

· Registered
2,637 Posts
I use mobil 4t racing 15w-50

there is some cheaper choices, but when I use those I always have that little voice in my head saying: 'this is not Mobil 4t racing'. and with maybe 1 or 2 changes per season the mobil 4t racing doesn't brake or make the budget. So I use it and my head is clean of those voices. To me that is value.

Price is what you pay. value is what you get. -George Buffet

· Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The way I read their site, Mobil 1 15W-50 is pretty much identical to their 4T 15W-50 Racing oil.

They state that, generally, there are two differences between car oil and motorcycle oil. Car oils have friction modifiers (higher levels are usually designated by 'energy conserving' on the API label) and do not have high levels of ZDDP (a zinc/phosphorous compound that is a vital anti-wear agent).

Their auto 15W-50 has low levels of friction modifiers (not generally added to high-vis oils) and high levels of ZDDP:

Mobil 1 15W-50 is also recommended for older valve train designs that may benefit from a higher level of anti-wear normally not required for newer generation vehicles.
I've been using this oil in Speedy since I got it, and have changed the oil every 6000 miles. I had the valve cover off to check valve clearance at 24K, and it looks brand new inside.

· Registered
2,791 Posts
BillT said:
The way I read their site, Mobil 1 15W-50 is pretty much identical to their 4T 15W-50 Racing oil.

Somewhere
on this site...there is a comparison of these two that I had performed by B****** labs. There are nearly identical, with the 4T retaining viscosity only slightly better. The lab guys said that BOTH were overkill for a land based engine and the 4T was very near aircraft grade. (Being independent they won't recommend ANY oil over another, but he told me that none of their employees spent the extra $ for synthetic in any vehicles, they feel it isn't worth it)

Dig around, it used to be on the home page of the site but I'm sure it has moved since. I have the info somewhere in my hard drive but will have to search for it...which I don't feel like doing right now, as I've already explained what it said.

· Registered
92 Posts
You know what I don't understand about oil? Everyone seems to ignore the factory recomendations of oil weight. Go to any bike site and it seems everyone admits to using a different weight than what's recommended in their owners manuals.
If a bike is supposed to take 10W40, it seems to me using 15W50 is a bad idea, right? To further confuse things, the oil itself is sold "Odd". The Mobil 1 I saw that was 10W40 was for high mileage vehicles. WTF? ??? The standard Mobil 1 was 15W50 (I think) so a "Responsible" buyer has to make a decision without much info.
I think engineers take oil weight in to consideration when they design engines. It just seems like a critical thing to ignore. And if ignoring the weight is no big deal (As seems to be the case as everyone's engines seem to be fine and dandy), why have weights in the first place?!

· Registered
2,608 Posts
The recommended oil for 1050 as per manual is 10W40 or 15W50. 15W50 for hot climate, 10W40 for cooler climate.

Nothing odd about Mobil 1 4T, it's easily available at gas stations on the EU side of the pond. Just don't confuse the motorcycle 4T with the plain vanilla car version.

· Registered
92 Posts
Martin_R said:
The recommended oil for 1050 as per manual is 10W40 or 15W50. 15W50 for hot climate, 10W40 for cooler climate.

Nothing odd about Mobil 1 4T, it's easily available at gas stations on the EU side of the pond. Just don't confuse the motorcycle 4T with the plain vanilla car version.

I recall reading 15w50 was a misprint in the manual? I think I saw that at a discussion forum.

· Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
scottzilla said:
You know what I don't understand about oil? Everyone seems to ignore the factory recomendations of oil weight. Go to any bike site and it seems everyone admits to using a different weight than what's recommended in their owners manuals.
If a bike is supposed to take 10W40, it seems to me using 15W50 is a bad idea, right? To further confuse things, the oil itself is sold "Odd". The Mobil 1 I saw that was 10W40 was for high mileage vehicles. WTF? ??? The standard Mobil 1 was 15W50 (I think) so a "Responsible" buyer has to make a decision without much info.
I think engineers take oil weight in to consideration when they design engines. It just seems like a critical thing to ignore. And if ignoring the weight is no big deal (As seems to be the case as everyone's engines seem to be fine and dandy), why have weights in the first place?!
Mobil recommends Mobil1 10-40 for higher mileage vehicles simply because most new vehicles now use 5W-30, 5W-20 or 0W-20. As motors wear, using a higher viscosity oil keeps oil pressure up, so going to a higher viscosity oil is common practice with engines over, say, 75,000 miles.
15W-50 is their 'racing' oil - though they don't really mention it on their site.

I use 15W-50 because my bike lives in the tropics. A cold day is 50 (10C), and I rode 180 miles today in 90+ weather (32+C).

· Registered
1,951 Posts

· Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
No :eboy:

· Registered
1,683 Posts
I think one of the biggest keys for this bike (and maybe any bike) oil-wise is to avoid switching to full synthetic too soon. 500 miles is not enough to do the switch. 1000-1500 miles is more like it. I know it's tough for some to buck what the manual says, but I won't be making that mistake this time around.

· Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
You should have a spare handy just in case.

Not a hardware store item, but a NAPA item.

I think I got a pack of copper washers at Discount Auto in the Motormite/Help! section.

· Registered
2,608 Posts
Any auto parts store will have the copper/aluminium sealing washers.

I would not use the car specific High Mileage Mobil 1. Sounds like the one on your link is ment for old leaky junkers, and not for high revving motorbikes.

41 - 60 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.