Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am desperately looking for a set of top-quality used or new Daytona 955i/S3 1050 Arrow headers/down pipes in Australia. If anyone out there has some they are looking to sell, or knows where i can get some, please let me know. The best i have found so far are scratched and dented second-hand units from the US. I am looking to fit these to my 2010 Speed Triple to get it ready for a set of aftermarket cams. Any help, advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Can't help you with the parts, but three or four years ago some very smart guys built a custom header for the Speed Triple and compared them on the dyno to the factory headers, including the Arrow and Zard. The result was surprising. None of the "performance" headers gave any improvement over the factory header that had the flanges cleaned up. The castings on the flanges can be a little crude. Search the site and you'll find several threads about cleaning up the header ports.

(The result: Matched to the head)

You're in OZ I take it, so you don't have to worry about the pre-cat or a catistrophic converter in the header. The custom header that was tested had slightly larger tubing and an improved collector, but it didn't help on the dyno. Save your pennies.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have read and understood these posts, and for a while i agreed that i would not need a new header. However, the cams i purchased were a particularly rare kind made by a member of this site, and he strongly advised the use of a larger diameter header. Would the standard headers be able to flow enough gas for an almost stage-2 set of cams? he also noted that i would need to modify the airbox for more flow and of course get a custom tune. As i am new to tuning, im not 100% familiar with the flow limitations of these parts, any advise would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
I'm pretty sure I know exactly who you're talking about and he's pretty dead set on doing things his way. You do what you feel is best.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think for now i may hold off with the headers. Being in OZ i already dont have to worry about the pre-cat, and ive got a K&N intake and IXIL carbon pipes to lessen the restriction on flow. Ill pull off the headers and clean them up a bit (as you've showed me), install the cams, get it tuned and see what happens. Cheers for the advise :)

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
if it is the guy from Adelaide, I have also spoken with him on the matter. they have been tested, and the stock header becomes restrictive once bigger bumpsticks are installed. to the OP, keep in mind the arrow header has perforated cores in the primary tubes, which ideally would be removed to make best power. I could have swore there was a noob around here that just posted up about having a daytona 955 header. I can't remember the name of the thread, but it's worth looking for. You could also contact Remus, who makes a header for the 1050 S3. Not sure if there is a difference in the diameter of the primary tubes, but I can tell you that the 3-1 collector is further forward compared to the stocker, not sure if this would be ideal with the bigger cams or not. That is debatable because it also lengthens the midpipe, which (according to PT) is what makes high mounts make more power than low mounts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so the 955 header is still my best bet?

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Budget wise, yes. performance wise, you'd have to ask someone who has tested them amongst the others. it may be worth your while to hunt down the guy with the daytona header, or even find one on ebay. that or contact Imperial Sportbikes in Colorado, I'd be willing to bet they have one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx for the info Antisocial :)

Cheers Chewie! (ive always wanted to say that and have it mean something in the real world) hahaha

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry to double post, and i know im getting a little off subject here, but what kind of mods would have to be made to the 955 header for it to fit on an S3? and does anyone know for sure whether the Remus header has larger diameter primaries?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
if it is the guy from Adelaide, I have also spoken with him on the matter. they have been tested, and the stock header becomes restrictive once bigger bumpsticks are installed. to the OP, keep in mind the arrow header has perforated cores in the primary tubes, which ideally would be removed to make best power. I could have swore there was a noob around here that just posted up about having a daytona 955 header. I can't remember the name of the thread, but it's worth looking for. You could also contact Remus, who makes a header for the 1050 S3. Not sure if there is a difference in the diameter of the primary tubes, but I can tell you that the 3-1 collector is further forward compared to the stocker, not sure if this would be ideal with the bigger cams or not. That is debatable because it also lengthens the midpipe, which (according to PT) is what makes high mounts make more power than low mounts.
Does the arrow really have perforated cores in the primaries? I thought it was just in the midpipe...?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts