Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I rode through some serious rain on the way into work. Bike showed no issues. Got to work and let her run for a few minutes with the hopes of drying out any standing water, then shut her down. After work she started right up and rode fine all the way home. Covered her up, and went on with my evening. Poured all night, and as we all know, most bike covers only work so well once they are totally saturated with water.

Went out this morning and she started up without issue. Rode to the end of my street, all as well. Made the right turn onto 96th street to enter the FDR, and as I was sitting at the light I watched my idle RPM's drop from the usual 1200 or so to around 8-900. As soon as I went to take off, I could tell there was an issue.

Serious hessitation off the line, sputtering, choking, backfiring both under gas and decel, and the bike sounded terrible. It sounded like it was running on two cylinders and just had no power. Could barely get her up to speed. Continued riding in the right lane with my flashers on hoping this would improve, and long behold, after around 2 miles or so she started to wake up. Everything slowly came back to normal and by the time I had traveled around 5-10 miles it was like it never happened.

I have read about these bikes having poor coil seals. Is it possible this was just a case of some water in the plugs, or is there another likley culprit? Any ideas or insight is welcome!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
You have a 2007 Speedie which should have the better coil seals on it. Just have a look at the top of the engine and see if any of the coils are sitting up from the others. If so squeeze your hand between the tank and cam cover and push it back down.

If it was mine I would take the tank and air box off and have a look down the spark plug tubes. The other thing could be a faulty coil.

If you are getting water down there then the plug might be rusty and faulty.

Good luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man.

Yea, took a look under the tank today and all the coils look flush. I recently changed the plugs (about 2K miles ago) and did see that one or two of them had some signs of rust. The plugs did look super old though, so the small amount of rust I saw was not cause for concern.

Pretty sure its not a faulty coil and more a water caused issue since the bike has run perfectly and once it warmed up today, was back to normal.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Battery connections..

Battery connections are surely on their snug and clean. Had them off this weekend when I installed a FH020AA R/R with direct battery wiring and all is well there. I guess they could have been wet, though?

·
Registered
590 Posts
This is likely electrical. However, it is possible that you have some water in the gas. You can try to duplicate the failure with a hose. Start her up, idle her, soak her around the coils.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
These engines seem to really hold a lot of water up on the head. Anytime my bike gets wet (rain, wash), I lean it over as far as I can hold it and let the water drain out then run it a while to drive off anything left.

·
Registered
11,733 Posts
I have had no problems since I fitted the upgraded coil caps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts