Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought I'd share this with you chaps just in case someone else somewhere may find it useful. Sorry about it being war and peace :blah:

So I put my '95 speedy in for it's 18K service, and it gets a clean bill of health with just some shims and fork oil stuffs to be done. On the ride home I notice a high-pitched rattle that seems to be engine related. I pull over, kick the side stand down and put the bike down... and it stops the second it's on the stand. I'm thinking that it can't be valve train or balance related so I get back on and keep riding home. The vibration seems to gone until I pull away from a standstill when at 4500 RPM regardless of gear it comes back. Starting to get a little concerned I take it back to the shop and explain the problem. They take it for a spin and tell me that it's normal and there's nothing wrong. I try to explain that I know the old T3's are rattly but this is a new rattle. They aren't having any of it and proceed to argue that they can't hear it now so it's not a problem. Trying to remain calm I explain that it's intermitent but they say without booking it in they can't diagnose the problem. As much as I'd like to throw £40/hour at them to be told that's it's all fine I decided to leave it for a while and see if it gets worse. ::)

Over the next two weeks the recuring rattle gets increasingly the common, however I started noticing a pattern. It didn't vibrate when it was raining, it vibrated harder when turning left but as soon as the bike was at standstill regardless of how much I ragged it there would be no rattle. I decided to pop to a friends shop and get him to have a quick look, he took the bike for a quick spin and when he came back he said there was definate something vibrating and it sounded like it was coming from down by the exhaust headers. We get the bike up on the lift and he's poking round with a stethoscope but can't find anything out of the ordinary. I decided to book the bike in with him. At least he heard the noise and isn't being a wanker of a main dealer.

The next day after work I'm riding to his shop to hand The Beast over when the rattle comes back louder than ever. Instinctively I put my hand down by my left boot and press on the metal plate between the Alternator and the block and the vibration instantly stops. Hand off... buzzzz, hand on... silence (which is entertaining a 70mph in the middle lane of the M27). I pull into the shop and explain my findings to my man... who proceeds to remove the plate covering a coolant tube with two badly fastened jubilee clips that were not only very loose but hadn't been trimmed to length. A quick snip and tighten later and the sound is gone for good. The moral of this somewhat long and drivelous diatribe...

1) Rafferty Newmans in Fareham, Hampshire UK... You will never see my bike again. Not only was your attention to detail lacking but you were willing to take my money to resolve an issue you caused. I got the bike re-serviced at another location and it seems that the shims had not been replaced. The sealant on the head was old suggesting that the head hadn't been removed. BASTARDS! :finger:

2) Just because a shop happens to be a main dealer don't assume their mechanics know anything about bikes... especially the older ones! :bs:

3) Make friends with a good mechanic (or be one yourself). :drink:

Sorry for that rant...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Donkey punch... nah, that's far too civilised. More like a http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Glasgow+Facial :jerkoff: followed by a hearty five across the eyes :slap: and finishing with a well earned throat punch.

Still, at least it's running smoother than a cashmere codpiece now, just wish I could ride it without the need for floatation devices :'(

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Spooky said:
Donkey punch... nah, that's far too civilised. More like a http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Glasgow+Facial :jerkoff: followed by a hearty five across the eyes :slap: and finishing with a well earned throat punch.

Still, at least it's running smoother than a cashmere codpiece now, just wish I could ride it without the need for floatation devices :'(
??? :wtf: :shocker: ;D

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
The T300 bikes do this. I don't know why, or what it is.

My Buddy's 96 Trident (which he bought from me) has been doing this for 2 years. We can't figure it out. It's NOT valve noise. We've adjusted the valves numerous times, including adjusting them all tight just in case.

It's not an exhaust leak.

It's not anything to do with the balance shaft.

It's not the timing chain or adjuster.

It's not the sprague clutch or the alternator drive.

It IS very annoying. And loud. We've started telling people it's an electric fuel pump.

The only thing we haven't done yet is pull the pan and check for a bad rod. Next winter when we do that I'll have further proof of ghosts. I don't think it's a Rod.

Check out This Thread (click me) for a detailed analysis of my pain.

Note that my buddy recently bought a Daytona and so the Trident has been ignored for some time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crashmasterd: Wow, that sounds exactly like my problem. Not in anyway wanting to teach you to suck eggs but if you haven't done so already remove this panel and check for any signs of friction wear. Especially at the bottom right of the panel, by the alternator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.