Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know.

:D

Id like to ride across the country to Alaska. But I have only gotten as far as Tenesse from D.C.

·
Registered
18,147 Posts
I haven't really yet, I went to Kentucky on mine, but one weekend before too long, I plan on doing a trip kinda like you did with your buddy on the R6. I'd like to take off and ride as far as I can(on as many twisty roads I can find) one day, and come back the next. I think I could mangage 1200 miles on two days. Where to go, where to go??? Actually, after seeing some of Catamount's pics up in Vermont, that would be an awesome ride to do. But I don't think I could do that in a weekend. Maybe 3 or 4 days. Might try that sometime, wanna go? ;D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did 3500 miles up through WA into Canada.
Across BC almost to Jasper and down the Canadian Rockies to Glacier National Park in MT.
Then across MT, ID and Wa back home.
Took 7 days..
I took my buddy along on his BMW GS Adventure to carry my crap so I only needed a tank bag (the small one) ;D.
It was convenient 'cos he would tell me when it was getting twisty ahead (GPS and Radios) and I would go have fun. Then I would get an opportunity to stretch my legs whilst I waited for him to catch up..
350 miles had me standing on the pegs and sliding onto the back of the seat. (and I have a well padded bum).

The trip was great and the bike was amazing.
I had contemplated a Sprint or Tiger to tour on but couldn't justify buying one when the Speed Tripis so capable.
Maybe being able to use soft bags is a good excuse to buy a Zard.. ;D

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
I did a 1,000 mile weekend on my S3 back when it had the stock tail section and that literally gave me a hernia. Of course half of that trip was in the rain and I didn't have any padded pants for the trip. I was fine while wearing my Triumph New Sport Jeans, but once they got soaked down to my socks and underwear, I had to stop off in Fort Wayne and switch to jeans and rain pants. Thats what killed my butt.

Now that I've got the Corbin seat and know better than to wear jeans on longer trips, I can go pretty much all day long on the bike if I want to.

P.S. Autumn's 05 Sprint ST isn't much more comfortable than the Speed Triple. Its actually worse for me because of the clip-ons. However, its a GREAT bike when riding two-up. The bike just squats down and gets really stable, not tipsy at all on the ST when two-up. I was quite impressed.

G

·
I picked up my bike in Tennessee then rode to Maine and back down to Virginia. I've got a tour set-up that includes panniers, tank bag, tail bag, GPS and an intercom system.

·
Premium Member
71,086 Posts
800 mile day on my 04.... all I can say is I didnt care to look at her for a week.. gel seat wasnt any better..... toward the end of the day I had to get off and could barely walk... thats a literal pain in the @$$... not that I wouldnt do it again :)

G

·
the best i have done was a trip to northern Ga. from northern Ohio. rode straight through about 860 miles. stock seat, flyscreen wearing my first gear leathers. big duffel bag strapped on back. tank bag. did a total of 2700 miles in 5 days. i do 400 mile rides alot in southern Ohio, out an back rides so i guess it help harden your rear to the stock seat. i don't think the stock seat is that bad? i have a 2000 triple i picked up in 02 new that has almost 30000 miles on it now.

mike

·
Registered
23,333 Posts
xrod said:
I picked up my bike in Tennessee then rode to Maine and back down to Virginia. I've got a tour set-up that includes panniers, tank bag, tail bag, GPS and an intercom system.
Hey xrod,what year is your Triple,if it is a 05 what are the panniers you bought,didn't know if there was any available considering the pipes.Got a SW MOTECH rack which takes a GIVI hardcase but would be interested to see if their was panniers available.
Cheers
Bucket ;D

G

·
I've got an '02 so it's not an issue, especially with the underseat exhaust. Finally the older bikes have something the new one's don't ;) Honestly, the panniers don't hold much and the weight limit is low (7lbs. I think), at least for the Triumph panniers. I don't know if Luggage Locker makes a tail bag for the new bikes but if they do, take a look. I have one and have to say it's a great product.

·
Registered
23,333 Posts
Thanks for that xrod,i have a Bagster tail bag(Whoppa)works pretty well as the mounting kit is connected to the subframe(had to make a few mods to mounting kit).It zips on and off and sits perfectly on the seat as it has a curved bottom.
Bucket

1 - 13 of 13 Posts