Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to SatansK9, I will soon have a spare header. I am thinking about working it over and offering it for cash and trade on your stock header.

The precat/baffle will be removed, the holed welded, the flanges ported, and any needed clean up in the header will done.

You would have to pay shipping and insurance (around USD $25-30). If you want the header shipped to you (or a ceramic coating company) PRIOR to removing yours, it will require a payment to cover a core charge. A new header is over $800 from BikeBandit.com, but I am willing to accept $200 for a core charge, that will refunded - IF you send me your header in a timely fashion.

How many would be interested? What is this kind of work worth to you at a fair price (for you and me).

·
Registered
99 Posts
i'd be interested. my bike is going to sitting for the next 2 weeks or so anyways. how much u want?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will not have the header until the end of the week, so I can't modify it until a few days later.

How much? - What sounds fair?

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
APtech77 said:
mmmmm....... :-\
Wish I had to headers........ :-\
Why? Devi isn't going to screw them up or anything. This is a great mod! Did it myself.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you want I can send it to you, and then when you get your header off, you send me yours. That is the whole idea.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey Devi, are you thinking of going into production on the headers? I'm super interested cause I still haven't done any of that work yet.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chain Reaction Moto is going to produce the custom header when all the details are worked out.

I am thinking about offering to modify stock headers - that is what this thread is about. The CRM header will likely have a bit better power curve than the modified stock one, we should soon see.

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
Isn't the new Chainreacton header somewhat lighter than even the modified stock header?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes.

The stock header loses about a pound, but the CRM header is 3.5 pounds lighter than stock.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sy0296 said:
how many hours of work are we talking about here?
It depends -usually 2, sometimes more is required to remove the precat/baffle and weld up the holes.

Doing it yourself will likely take longer.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Devious2xs said:
sy0296 said:
how many hours of work are we talking about here?
It depends -usually 2, sometimes more is required to remove the precat/baffle and weld up the holes.

Doing it yourself will likely take longer.
If you're doing it yourself it will likely be a day long project assuming you have all the tools lined up to do it. Coating will take longer.

I imagine it gets faster every time you do it! ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Devi...

I am currently waiting to receive my custom (hopefully working) mid-pipe from Bob Floyd for my 07 S3. Then I need to possibly wait another two weeks for his order of mufflers to come in... In the meantime Bob tells me that you are currently working on the header for the complete CRM system. Any chance you can give a time frame of when the entire system will be ready for production?

Currently Bob thinks he may have figured out a way to modify his 06 mid-pipe to fit my 07. But if it doesn't work, I told him that I would like to get in line for the complete CRM system including the header. But this means waiting for the coolest looking and sounding exhaust system available for the S3. ???

Just wondering just how patient I need to be?

For all you do for us and the coolest street fighter on the planet,

Thanks man...

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The problem with the CRM header testing has several issues.
I need to test on a bike that is stock - mine isn't.
I need to test on a bike that has a TuneBoy key.
I need 2-3 days of dyno time to get all of the testing and tuning done. (3 header configurations, 4 to 5 exhaust configurations) At a cost out of my pocket for $500-$600 per day.
There are only two shops in town that have dynos and will allow me to tune on them. And right now, these shops are covered up.

I had a date set up for dyno time THIS weekend, but the owner of the bike above could not make it. Right now I have another tentative date two weeks from now.

Once the header testing is done, Bob can get the final versions of the header into production. I would expect it to take a month to have them ready for sale once the final testing is done.

Trust me, I am very anxious to get this header tested. It has been a project that I have been working on for quite some time. See the custom header thread. I want to make sure that it is worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Devious2xs,
Even though I have removed the precat from my oem header, had it ported and ceramic coated and am satisfied with the power I too am anxious to see the custom header results. I'm imagining 3 pounds lighter, 3-4 hp, 1-2 tq, with a smoothed, improved power curve for about $500-$600. Now...do I do the forks or the header! Both! I already ordered the Ohlins on the Group Buy. What's another couple hundred bucks. Hell, it's only money!
(What I wouldn't give to be in on the tuning!)
Fred

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'd probably be willing to pay about $150-$200, any more than that and I would be looking for a custom header.
D

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HarriS - I get a header out of the deal, when they go to production. Bob built this based on my suggested dimensions for a street header (not racing). I am doing the tuning because I want to make sure it works BEFORE it goes to production.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts