Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
i dont know 1050...here is a pic of someone over in my FZR forum that replaced his halo's with 8000k HID's

G

·
Yeah? They worked well? I think HID's look nice too and I'd be keen to upgrade if I thought they were worth it.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
from the looks of it...they are superior....and kinda makes sense IMO...why would car makers have it as an upgrade if it was subpar....

anyways....this guy would light up a four lane interstate with those...well...maybe not...but close...

guess the problem is where to put the ballasts...thought of maybe rigging something up behind the fly screen??

G

·
Dear all,

I hv done the mod and i must say i am completely and totally Satisfied. FYI :1) i do not hv a fly screen so i hide the extras under my seat 2) do not use the HID w/ both low and high beam, it shouldn't be able to fit into our head lamp cover, slightly over the length i've tried. 3) i hv mod the lights to low beam HID therefore when i trigger my passing switch, i get a flash blink between orange and white light .. very cool.

P/s : Not possible to attached any pics cos when i took the pictures of my bike with the HID on ... It just turned out a white sheet of photo. Damned :)Wahahaha.

No regrets.
Fearless (Singapore)

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
How about from teh side??? or angled picture??

G

·
DocPup said:
from the looks of it...they are superior....and kinda makes sense IMO...why would car makers have it as an upgrade if it was subpar....
The debate isn't whether they're superior as a factory option in a properly designed system. It's whether these HID replacement bulb kits are really an upgrade. No one denies they throw out a lot of light and it's very bright blue and impressive looking. The question is whether they actually help you to see more/further or not. Daniel Stern's opinion was that they don't when he wrote that article. I agree they look cool though ;D

Personally I'd be more inclined to fit a better quality light unit with the best halogen bulb you can lay your hands on but each to their own.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
MotoRaider said:
just not sure where and how to mount the ballast..
If you throw away the SAI solenoid + pipework under the tank in front of the airbox, there should be plenty of space.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
If you install a non-SAI tune then the SAI system isn't used. Aussie bikes and some other region models come without the SAI. It is essentially an aid to help the bike pass emissions testing in Europe and the USA, but with proper tuning you can actually get lower emissions, better power, and less backfiring without it.

When I get a little more cash saved up I'll be able to send in my SAI plates to get copied using waterjet or laser and hopefully have a batch of block-offs that don't look like ass. Gotta wait for the financial go-ahead from my wife though as things are tight with the upcoming 1098 purchase. Really wish this last batch wasn't botched. It would have made things a lot smoother.

G

·
kuhlka said:
When I get a little more cash saved up I'll be able to send in my SAI plates to get copied using waterjet or laser and hopefully have a batch of block-offs that don't look like ass.
Be careful with waterjet cutting. I'm pretty sure they can do a really good job but I had some discs cut for my mountainbike and they looked like shit. Took me a day with a file to clean up all the edges. I had some more discs done for a mate by laser and they were perfect.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you want to mount the ballast under your seat make sure and get a motorcycle specific HID kit with an extra long lead. I've done 2 of these using automotive type parts and the high tension lead going to the light is only 16 inches long or so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts