Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

Y no start!? Sprag or Rectifier?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Bobcat Sig 
#1 · (Edited)
F@ck. My 2006 Speedie has opted to embrace its British heritage and puzzingly will not start now. I suspect that it's either the c@nty sprag clutch or the rectifier. Reading this and this tells me that I'm the right track.

The symptoms as of now:
The bike has full battery power. When clicked on, the gauges and dials run through their start-up as they should.
The fuel pump does not prime or whir as it should.
After the initial start-up procedure, the oil light is on and hitting the starter button does nothing. Likewise, despite being in neutral, the light is not on.

I've tried:
I thought it might be a battery issue, so I warrantied my Yuasa and swapped in a fully charged unit. The bike started on the first try. I let it run for about 15 minutes to see if the rectifier is toast and the bike would die if battery would not recharge. No dice. However, after turning the bike off and letting it sit for about 30 minutes. It would not start and has not since. F@ck
I have also checked all of the fuses. All good there.
The bike has also been on a trickle charger this whole time (I permanently installed one when I bought the bike back in January of last year).

Prior to this, the bike displayed a faulty ground, wherein the bike would power on as it should, but once I hit the starter switch, everything would die, including the gauges. Checked the headstock wiring loom and no issues there or anywhere else.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over!? Is is the sprag clutch? Is the rectifier being a wuss and on its last legs? Is it a relay for the fuel pump?

See less See more
#4 ·
Signs point to Regulator/Rectifier. Possibly stator (it is an 06) but losing juice while the ignition is off is a classic sign of the diodes in the RR going bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.