Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

Zard Full System Install on a 955i

6K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  kuhlka 
#1 ·
I'll post up pics and a full walkthrough when I'm done with this session of class.

#3 ·
Holy piss was today a long day. I got the system on the bike, but it took all day since I was doing it by myself. If I had an extra set of hands and a spare brain, it would have taken just a few hours.

I'll have pics up tomorrow and start working on my fairing install.

#6 ·
The O2 sensor just barely fit with the centerstand. The feeling of torque with the baffle in is less than the high mount carbon TOR can and stock muffler, but everything is much smoother and easier to control. I'll probably remove the baffle this weekend to see what that does. I'll have more pics today. Went to a bike night with Tekmoe yesterday.

#9 ·
What is the easiest way to remove that baffle to be able to possibly put it back in later? Has anyone removed theirs then put it back in later when they wanted a nice quiet exhaust? I don't mind the sound right now, but the bike has definitely lost some low-end grunt with the baffle. The nice thing is that the ride has smoothed out a LOT with the full system on there. I'm just curious as to how the bike will perform with the baffle out.

#10 ·
An internal snap-ring pliers may be all you need.

However some (mine included) had a spot weld binding the baffle to the can (I think it was at the 12 o'clock position roughly). You may need to remove the snap ring to see it, and definitely need it out prior to drilling.

I drilled mine with a 3/8" bit just enough so I could break it free. Came apart very easy then.

Good Luck!

Edit: Just saw your post "over there".

I think the snap ring ought to be more than enough to hold the baffle in. It seemed VERY stout when I was taking it out!

#12 ·
I finally got it out after 3 broken drill bits. Those Dewalt quick-release bits suck ass. It sounds a lot bassier and seems to breathe a lot better without the baffle. If the weather warms up this weekend I'll do a butt-dyno run to see how different it feels.

Pics tomorrow morning for sure now that I'm free from class for the weekend. Sorry for the delay on photos. I'm a habitual procrastinator.

#19 ·
Woooo, my fuel mapping is riiiiich. With the baffle out, the bike is banging and popping on decel like a mexican bandito firing in the air and the sound of it running down the road is like an ogre gargling jet fuel. I need to get this thing to a dyno asap! Oh, and the exhaust fumes reek of fuel. That was my first indication (other than the stock header and my previous exhaust being completely black inside). I think I'll call the local Triumph dealerships and ask them if they can recommend anyone local so I don't have to ride all the way to Houston and back.

#20 ·
kuhlka said:
Woooo, my fuel mapping is riiiiich. With the baffle out, the bike is banging and popping on decel like a mexican bandito firing in the air and the sound of it running down the road is like an ogre gargling jet fuel. I need to get this thing to a dyno asap! Oh, and the exhaust fumes reek of fuel. That was my first indication (other than the stock header and my previous exhaust being completely black inside). I think I'll call the local Triumph dealerships and ask them if they can recommend anyone local so I don't have to ride all the way to Houston and back.
Not sure as we do not know what changes you have made, but a couple of thoughts...

Popping on decel is a LEAN condition on partial throttle (assuming no pipe leaks), not rich. In fact, to cure it you need to richen the idle and just off idle sections of the curve with partial or closed throttle positions.

As for the excessive smell of fuel, we don't know yet as we do not know what you have put in there for settings or what box you are using?

But you have to admit that at night, a high rpm decel run can make for some VERY cool flames out the pipe! Get your camera out at least once before making it correct!!! ;D

Steve Larson

#21 ·
Yeah definitely. Flames are cool. I think I've got the PK Power tune from t595.net in it right now which says this about the tune "but overall the tune is intentionally on the rich side." I think that was an understatement. If I'm lucky, I have friday off class, I might be able to ride over to Houston and get my bike tuned friday and/or saturday. We'll see.

#24 ·
kuhlka said:
Do I need to use any sealant on the slip-joints? I just clipped them together without any wrap or goo.
Yes, you should be using high temp silicone (Hondabond (Honda Dealers - great stuff, kinda like Duct tape!), Yamabond (Yamaha dealers), Permatex Ultra Blue (ACE Hardware, etc), etc) at all the slip fits. This will not only help seal any of the "pinhole" leaks and/or sucking in of air, but also makes it much easier to disassemble the pipe if you ever need to take it off again...

Steve Larson

#26 ·
Sweeeet. I called Metric in Houston today and I've got an appointment for bright and early friday morning to give them a go at the bike. I'm planning to stay in Houston friday and saturday night. I'll just work on my laptop and hang out with my friend while I wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.